General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Bumper/Grill replacement; help

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 10:45 AM
blazerbabe69 is on a distinguished road
Default Bumper/Grill replacement; help

I've had my 02 Blazer; 4.3 LS 4Door for about a year now. Absolutely in love with her. This winters been pretty rough and I ended up stuffin a snow bank about two weeks ago. She still runs like a dream but my front end is a wreck. Looking like I'm gonna have to entirely replace the bumper as well as the grill. I'm looking to do all the work myself, trying to learn as much as I can. I could take it to get fixed and it would be a lot quicker but there's no fun in that. Looking for some advice or help to make sure that everything goes smoothly so I can use this as a learning experience and get to know more about the ins and outs of my truck. So far I've been pricing out parts online, and keeping up with local pick and pulls just to get a feel for everything.

Old 03-09-2015, 02:59 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

Both are very easy to replace. The grill snaps in and pull out easily, no tools required. The bumper is bolted up and easy to get to. You shouldn't have any problems changing them out on your own.

Old 03-09-2015, 08:44 PM
rexazz2 will become famous soon enough

as said ... the grill just pops in and out ... I suggest doing it in warm weather when the plastic isnt as brittle

Old 03-10-2015, 09:18 AM

Ah sweet deal!! You guys are awesome, I appreciate the feedback!
I'm hoping to make some moves by the end of the week and get the parts in order. As a single girl without a dad I'm kinda screwed for at home resources and whatnot so it's always nice to get an extra opinion or two

Old 03-19-2015, 11:13 PM
Starting Member
Brian K. Balzer is on a distinguished road
Default A Helpful Tip

I haven't pulled the bumpers off of my son's 85 Blazer yet (it's on the list as it need a front bumper replaced) but I've done them several times on my 77, 78, & 79 T-Birds which have Solid bumpers and I still managed to do them on my own even though I'm in a wheelchair. If you're doing it on your own without an extra hand it's great to have a transmission jack to level the bumper while you're putting it on. Failing that just use whatever you have handy to stack up to set it on. Before I got my transmission jack I used tires, cinder blocks, and wood blocks. Just don't get too zealous when tightening it back up. I darn near twisted a bolt off the first time I did it. OOPS!

Old 03-20-2015, 12:43 PM

ooh! thanks for the suggestion; definitely seems like a good idea. I'm having the hardest time actually just finding the replacement parts right now. Ordering everything new will be a few hundred, and I'd prefer to just keep looking around for a better deal hoping to catch someone parting stuff out. But definitely all very handy information to have; thank you!!

Old 03-20-2015, 09:12 PM
Starting Member
Brian K. Balzer is on a distinguished road
Default You're welcome

Hope you find what you're looking for. I know how it goes and sometimes it can get frustrating when things don't seem to want to fall into place so to speak. Last summer I ended up driving from Kansas down into Oklahoma to get some parts for my 78 T-Bird because the only salvage yard here in Wichita that had what I needed was Air Capital who had ripped me off on an engine. Needless to say, I refuse to do business with him.