General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Buying a trailblazer but rethinking if I should.

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2013, 10:07 PM
Beginning Member
Cassera is on a distinguished road
Default Buying a trailblazer but rethinking if I should.

Hey everybody,

So the time has come where I finally need a newer more reliable vehicle (than my beat up 96 blazer). I LOVE my blazer but its just getting too old and I'm having too many problems with it. I am having my first child in 2 months so I need a newer car. I am thinking of a trailblazer. Possibly an ss trailblazer. I seen some nice ones for 20 grand with only 50000 miles. The thing is, I've read up and heard of LOTS of transmission problems with the ss. Is this the same for the regular trailblazer? Also, what can I do to prevent that from happening if I do purchase the vehicle?

One more question. What other SUV's are like the trailblazer ss (lots of power, not brand new maybe an 07' around there) so I have a comparison and other options. My limit is 20 grand tops with low mileage like around 60000 give or take a few.

Any recommendations here??

Old 07-13-2013, 10:43 PM
Twip will become famous soon enough

i dont want to be the one to turn someone away or be rude, but we dont really deal with the Trailblazer's and Envoy's. we deal mostly with the S10 and K5 style blazers. but i found this website for you that might be more of what you are looking for. plus they will probably be better at answering your questions. with first hand knowledge. Trailvoy.com - The Chevy Trailblazer and GMC Envoy Enthusiast Site
as far as looking for a different SUV, there are Yukon's, Tahoe's, Envoy's and Suburban's and thats staying in the GM/Chevy family. i was looking for a Trailblazer when i got my 98. i paid 3750 for it after paying for re-registration and plates to put in back in Cali. it only had 104k miles on it plus a great service record with a mountain of receipts.
just keep your eyes open and you will find something that will suite you. Just remember that a regular Trailblazer has an inline 6, 4.2ltr. i have heard good things about them and they actually make more power then our 4.3's. but i think that the fuel economy is about the same. good luck with your search! and congratulations one the baby!

Old 07-13-2013, 11:55 PM
ohsofly will become famous soon enoughohsofly will become famous soon enough

Well, you gotta understand that most of the 1/2 tons, our S-series, and the SS are all going to have the 4L60E tranny in them... Its not the best tranny out there.

Another thing to point out is that the guys that have problems with these trannys also rat-bag the crap out of them daily.

Ive been bagging on my silverados 4L60E for 2 years now and mines still strong and pulls hard.

I guess its all in the luck of the draw, but for the one that goes bad, over a hundred get good milage out of them.

So I would go for the SS personally. They are bad @SS