General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Can I get a window tint exemption? Detached Retina?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 06:46 PM
Beginning Member
erik10 is on a distinguished road
Default Can I get a window tint exemption? Detached Retina?

I have had a detached retina, and laser to fix holes in retina about 6 times (I'm only 16).... Will that be enough to get a window tint exemption? I live in PA.... If I do get an exemption, can I tint side windows, and Windshield as dark as I want?

They allow almost no tint in PA

Also, can they restrict my driving if I do try to get an exemption? like I cant drive at night or something?\

I still have good vision in both eyes, my eyes are just sensitive to light, a lot more at night, when other drivers go by with headlights

Old 07-05-2010, 07:16 PM
ImScrewed92 is an unknown quantity at this point

It all depends on what a physician decides and what your local Department of Motor Vehicles allows. If that condition is covered than normally you have to have at least two things.

Note from your physician or health care provider. Should include reccomended light % reduction. And a permit from local DMV allowing the more than legal % tint. It's not the easiest thing. I feel you should be able to get it from what you've said but it might take some running around town to get. Also expect to get pulled over once in a while since PA's tint laws ban anything darker than %70 tint. You'll stick out like a sore thumb with blacked out windows.

One other thing I reccomend if you get it is really think about the tint on the windshield and how it will effect night time driving if on back roads without street lights. I've been in vehicles where you couldn't hardly see out the front at night even with high beems and fog lights. I would'nt go lower than 30-35% on the windshield. Also kinda look at the edge of the road or at the white line when a car is coming, helps out a little. I figure you already practice that but every lil' but helps. Good luck with the permits.

Old 07-06-2010, 10:24 AM
ohsofly will become famous soon enoughohsofly will become famous soon enough

Nobodys going to tint a windshield... It is a double curved glass and requires heat to fit the tint film... You cant apply heat to a laminated window - CRACK... So I wouldnt worry about that. Also I think if you got an exemption it would come with a ban on night driving... Get yourself a good pair of sunglasses, I have bot RayBans and Arnettes, they are polarized making them great for fishing!!!

Old 07-06-2010, 10:34 AM
BF Veteran
Benedict1337 will become famous soon enough

if you are going to tint your windows and want to avoid getting much attention from the police get no more than 35% my friend has that in his bmw and a cop only said something to him when he got into an accident. This driver and passenger windows. you can tint the rear windows as dark as you want. once you get past 5% its really hard to see at night. I wouldn't get the windshield tinted that is just a bad idea and the cops will be all over you for doing that. If the sun really bothers you, you'd be better off going to the doctor getting prescription sunglasses. that way your insurance would cover it and you wouldn't have to pay anything. I'd rather get sunglasses than get banned from driving at night

Old 07-06-2010, 10:36 AM
BF Veteran
oktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant future

You'd have to call in to the DMV with a "hypothetical" situation and see if you'd be restricted from night driving...

Nobodys going to tint a windshield... It is a double curved glass and requires heat to fit the tint film... You cant apply heat to a laminated window - CRACK... So I wouldnt worry about that. Also I think if you got an exemption it would come with a ban on night driving... Get yourself a good pair of sunglasses, I have bot RayBans and Arnettes, they are polarized making them great for fishing!!!
Depends on how much heat you apply to the windshield, when I've gotten stone chips fixed they had a lighter to the inside of the windshield to heat the resin...

Old 07-06-2010, 11:52 AM
ImScrewed92 is an unknown quantity at this point

I've seen quite a few windshields tinted before. I agree most shops either won't do it or they beat around the bush on it. But some shops will do whatever as long as cash in hand is involved. But like I said it's not something I recommend really.

Ditto on good glasses. My conditions are no where near the sevarity of yours, but I have high blood pressure and migrane headaches. My eyes are sensitive to light. I wear sunglasses all day everyday 24-7-365. My uncle bought me a pair of Arnette sunglasses when I started driving cause he has the same sensitive eyes, and those things were incredible. Made me never wanna wear cheap walmart sunglasses agian. I almost cried when they broke about a year ago. They were on sale for $85 when he bought them. I'm gonna pick up another good pair before I go on my cruise this summer.

I normally keep 3 pairs if I have the cheapos. One at home for backup, one in my blazer and one in moms car.

Old 07-06-2010, 11:57 AM
Beginning Member
erik10 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Benedict1337
if you are going to tint your windows and want to avoid getting much attention from the police get no more than 35% my friend has that in his bmw and a cop only said something to him when he got into an accident. This driver and passenger windows. you can tint the rear windows as dark as you want. once you get past 5% its really hard to see at night. I wouldn't get the windshield tinted that is just a bad idea and the cops will be all over you for doing that. If the sun really bothers you, you'd be better off going to the doctor getting prescription sunglasses. that way your insurance would cover it and you wouldn't have to pay anything. I'd rather get sunglasses than get banned from driving at night
PA allows like 70%, you can't even tell there is tint with that

Old 07-06-2010, 03:27 PM
BF Veteran
Benedict1337 will become famous soon enough

yea but most cops don't go by the percentages. Rule of thumb of PA cops are if you can see the driver/passenger through the front windows they won't pull you over. 35% is the darkest that you can still see the driver. Only way a cop might say something is if he pulled you over for speeding or doing something else wrong