General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

The Cats

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2007, 04:13 PM
TheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond repute
Default The Cats

Whats up with the 3 catalytic converters ? Do we really need all of them, I was thinking about taking out that big one right under the passenger side.

Old 09-15-2007, 05:42 PM
BF Veteran
EuroGoldLS is on a distinguished road
Default RE: The Cats

3? you have one. The other two things you are talking about must be O2 sensors.

Old 09-15-2007, 06:58 PM
TheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond repute

Nope 3, lemme get a camera.

Edit Correction two, I know one is but someone told me the other thing is another cat.

Its this thing, what is it ?

Old 09-15-2007, 07:19 PM
BF Veteran
EuroGoldLS is on a distinguished road

Is there any wires coming off of it? Mine doesn't have anything like that. Just 2 O2 sensors and a cat.

Old 09-15-2007, 08:45 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

This looks like your exhaust resonator. Some exhaust systems are equipped with a resonator. The resonator, located either before or after the muffler, allows the use of mufflers with less back pressure. Resonators are used when vehicle characteristics require specific exhaust tuning. The exhaust system design will vary according to the model and the intended use of the vehicle.

Old 09-15-2007, 08:53 PM

So taking it out would be a bad thing ?

Edit- I talked to a certified tech and he said that it just quiets the exhaust and taking it off would have no effect on the engine and probably will boost some performance.

Old 09-15-2007, 09:17 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

To my knowledge, removing it would be all right. Like he said, it probably will just increase the noise level. My question is, why remove it? I'll bet you that you will not notice any increase in performance.

Old 09-15-2007, 10:10 PM

Well i put pipe after my muffler now and i cant hear the exhaust, i just want to increase it a little bit.

Old 09-16-2007, 12:06 AM
BF Guru

Are you still running the stock water heater, I mean muffler?
If so, why not change it to a higher performance brand. That's the way to get more exhaust note.

Old 09-16-2007, 12:46 AM

Yea i had a flowmaster 40 then went to a Flo-Pro Vforce.

Quick Reply: The Cats