General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

center console and shifter

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 11:01 PM
bigal04 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default center console and shifter

I have a 96 4 door jimmy and was wondering if the center console and shifter out of an extreme blazer would work. Also where can i find a extreme bodykit and wheels.

Old 10-03-2007, 02:56 AM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: center console and shifter

S10 warehouse for the body kit. Local junkyard/craigslist/ebay for wheels. Good luck and welcome!! Not sure about the center console, best bet would be to measure yours and measure the one you want to put in, including all mounting points to see if they would fit. After looking at pictures of interior from a '96 on Autotrader, they pretty much look the same. I would definitely check the mounting points though.

Old 10-03-2007, 09:04 AM
99 Blazer 4x4 is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok bigal04, first off welcome to the site. Now as for the extreme body kit and wheel issue I don't know but I may be able to shed a little light on the center console thing. Now whether its a 2wd or 4wd I don't think thats gonna make a bit of difference. My friend put the center console and shifter in his truck 2001 blazer LS 4x4. It originally had a column shifter (the reason he swapped was every vehicle he had ever owned had the shifter on the floor and he was use to that and didn't like the column shifter). All he had to do was find a console (don't quote me on this cause I am not sure and could be wrong). But I think it came outof a Bravada (the Oldsmobile version of a blazer). Everything lined up no problem I think there was only like5 things that had to be done.
1. Shifter on column has to be removed. Shifter cable routed up through the transmission tunnel and I think he had to cut a hole in the floor to slide the cable (but 100% sure).
2. Take thecolumn trim offof the bravada and fit it to the columnof the blazer for a factory look.
3. Hook everything up (shifter cable)
4 Heres and optional thingI thinkbecause your truck didn't come with the floor shifter you will have to splice into or run a separate wire to illuminate the lights for the shifter (you know P-1).
5.I think he had to slightly modify (bend) where the factory mounts for the old console go and thenhejust bolted everything up.

I don't think is was that hard.

It looks factory, very clean and very nice.I don't have the ability to post pictures unless they are ones I find on the internet because I don't have a digital camera yet(hope to soon). So I am unable to show you. Iwill look sometime today and try tofind a picture off of the internet. If I can find one I willedit my post and show you.Sorry I can't give you anymore help than that. I will call my buddy later and pick his brain and seeif I can post more infofor you. Try searching this site with the search tool, maybesomeone on here has done one.
Hope this helps or at least for nowgivesyou anidea.

Heres the pictures big all they are both of a 96-97 bravada and the dash is almost identical to yours. Iremember we did it in a weekend and it wasn't very hard just time consuming trying to figure out the shift cable routing. He is a body man by trade so it probably help but if you are a good shadetree mechanic it should be to bad. Again I just got up soI may not be 100% but at leastthis may give you an idea. Here is the pictures:

Ok for some stupid reason I can't paste them on here, but no big deal just get on yahoo then type in Oldsmobile Bravada just like I put it here then scroll down close to the bottom and the two last rows the third one from the left in the second row from the bottom and first one on the left on the last row match your truck with a center console. Good Luck. If you need anything else let me know. Zach

Old 10-03-2007, 02:02 PM
Psychropod is an unknown quantity at this point

Zach,

This is helpful to me, because I want to do this but with an additional step. Not only do I want to move the shifter to the floor, but I also want to replace the tranny altogether with a stick shift. My understanding thus far is that, not only do I have to replace the steering column and dash display, but I will also have to replace the computer chip with the chip from a truck that has a stick.

In addition to the rewiring, I'm also assuming I will have to do some cutting and welding in the floor, right?

Old 10-03-2007, 02:14 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You would also have to find a center console from a floor shift model. The only manual trans Blazers were 2dr versions so this restricts your search...

You would basically want to have a donor vehicle of the same year alongside yours to do this swap as wiring harnesses, computer modules (PCM and possibly BCM), transmission braces possibly, clutch master cylinder and pedal, etc will all have to be swapped in.

Old 10-03-2007, 04:23 PM
FirehawkNS is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: 99 Blazer 4x4

Ok bigal04, first off welcome to the site. Now as for the extreme body kit and wheel issue I don't know but I may be able to shed a little light on the center console thing. Now whether its a 2wd or 4wd I don't think thats gonna make a bit of difference. My friend put the center console and shifter in his truck 2001 blazer LS 4x4. It originally had a column shifter (the reason he swapped was every vehicle he had ever owned had the shifter on the floor and he was use to that and didn't like the column shifter). All he had to do was find a console (don't quote me on this cause I am not sure and could be wrong). But I think it came outof a Bravada (the Oldsmobile version of a blazer). Everything lined up no problem I think there was only like5 things that had to be done.
1. Shifter on column has to be removed. Shifter cable routed up through the transmission tunnel and I think he had to cut a hole in the floor to slide the cable (but 100% sure).
2. Take thecolumn trim offof the bravada and fit it to the columnof the blazer for a factory look.
3. Hook everything up (shifter cable)
4 Heres and optional thingI thinkbecause your truck didn't come with the floor shifter you will have to splice into or run a separate wire to illuminate the lights for the shifter (you know P-1).
5.I think he had to slightly modify (bend) where the factory mounts for the old console go and thenhejust bolted everything up.

I don't think is was that hard.

It looks factory, very clean and very nice.I don't have the ability to post pictures unless they are ones I find on the internet because I don't have a digital camera yet(hope to soon). So I am unable to show you. Iwill look sometime today and try tofind a picture off of the internet. If I can find one I willedit my post and show you.Sorry I can't give you anymore help than that. I will call my buddy later and pick his brain and seeif I can post more infofor you. Try searching this site with the search tool, maybesomeone on here has done one.
Hope this helps or at least for nowgivesyou anidea.

Heres the pictures big all they are both of a 96-97 bravada and the dash is almost identical to yours. Iremember we did it in a weekend and it wasn't very hard just time consuming trying to figure out the shift cable routing. He is a body man by trade so it probably help but if you are a good shadetree mechanic it should be to bad. Again I just got up soI may not be 100% but at leastthis may give you an idea. Here is the pictures:

Ok for some stupid reason I can't paste them on here, but no big deal just get on yahoo then type in Oldsmobile Bravada just like I put it here then scroll down close to the bottom and the two last rows the third one from the left in the second row from the bottom and first one on the left on the last row match your truck with a center console. Good Luck. If you need anything else let me know. Zach
That would be great in a write up with pics. I would love to have a floor shifter as it gets iritating to grab for the shifter on the column of the wife's car or the Z when I haven't been in them in a while.

Old 10-03-2007, 04:32 PM

Psychropod, Kyle is right about the 2 dr blazer and the manual trans just looked up the conversion type thing. Now I used to know a guy that had a 4 dr. Explore in high school andwe converted it.

The two main cost are going to be the transw/the clutch and the ECU (I had to do it on the explore to).Now hiswas a 97was a Ford and was a 4.0 so I don't know how the Chev will be but as far as the body control module I don't remember us changing it. Man you guys always are curious about crap I have don't along time ago.lol. Just messin' anyways, like Kyle said your in for some work but if your fairly inclined automotively you could probably do it.
1. First off you need to find a donor truck and make sure you look it over thoroughly.
2. Pull the clutch cable off(If it is brittle or rustedjust go to the parts store and buy a newone.Its cheap compared to a broken one down the road)and remove the trans. Its not much different than removingan auto trans. (Just buy aNEW clutch its not worth pulling the old one off, you would believe how many people I have seen that pull the clutch out of the donor vehicle just to save a few bucks, then a couple of weeks down the road they blow the clutch if not take out the trans.
3.Now this step is a dependant step (depends on if you want to do alot or a little fabrication. Remove the clutch and brake pedal assembly. (Heres the depends on. Now Iam not surehow GMs are with there clutchpedal since I have not worked on a GM that was a clutch. If it has a mounting braket ormounting plate to align thepedals-on fords the plate is separate and it also hold the clutch cable. REMOVEIT it'll make things go alot easier with less fabrication.Like Isaid itsGM and your gonna have to do the foot work to check on that).
MAKE SURE YOU TAKE THE NEW TRANS CROSSMEMBER THE MASTER CYLINDER and THEFLYWHEEL. Again you would believe how many people I know that do the famous "Oh, I gotta have one those too."
4. Remove all of your old crap. Be carefull not to brake anything because you could salvage it or sell it to cover the cost of the swap.
5. I would go ahead and install the clutch master cylinder but don't hook or fill anything yet.
6. Now you need toremove the flexplate (flywheel for an auto trans). Then bolt up yourflywheel,(you will need to lookup all thetorque specs and other specs you may need.
7. Next install the clutch and the throwout bearing (Buy a new bearing). Now install the shift fork, again you should have removed it at the salvage yard.
8. Bolt up the trans and hook up the clutch pedal cable and install the driveshaft. (I know on the driveshaft for my buddies explore it had to be replaced with one for a manual -don'tremember why though). You will have to check for a GM.
9. Affix you new pedals and run cables, Fords have a cable adjuster I don't know if GMs do get that off of the donor truck.
10. Replace the Wiring harness with the one from the donor vehicle. Be carefull(PLEASE CHECK FOR CHAFING AND BARE SPOTS) I hadthis happen on my old truck (I was young and dumb - still learning the vehicle cought.fire.(If its bad replace or have one made its cheaper than a new vehicle or an injury. Replace the ECU. Like Kyle said I think you will need a new gauge cluster. It will just plug in because you replaced the wiring harness. Next setup the master cylinder, then finish adjusting the clutch till the pedal is normal.
(This will take awhile to take the play out of it).
Now fill the master cylinder and your good to go.

Now I will tell you I didn't put everything exactly step by step or give you the whole entire thing right now I don't have time to set and detail it exactly I just wanted you to have an idea. Now as for Firehawk if Kyle says I can do a write up in the DIY.

Old 10-03-2007, 04:50 PM
Psychropod is an unknown quantity at this point

You are THE MAN! Thanks!!

Old 10-03-2007, 05:04 PM

Firehawk on that console auto shift I had just got up so I wasn't awake and forgot you will also need the shift linkage mounts to the shifter and what pulls or releaseson the cable from the donorvehicle. Now oneone Idid with my buddy we left the column linkage in some say to take it outbut it didn't get in the way andit wasmore trouble than it was worth to get rid of it. Remember Psyhropod and Firehawkonboth of these Ididn't include everthing and some stuff might slightlybe out of order I was in a hury and had alot to do today. You guys can PM me if you want more info as far as thepictures both ofthem we didn't take pictures(Country Boys Don't have nofancy camera). Soon I hope to haveone though but I could talk both ofyou through it by e-mail, thing is I work full time and am a student. Soif you couldbare with me PM me and I'll send you my e-mail just don't abuse it. I will try to do as much info per day as my schedule allow so it may take awhile to get the whole as I would have to set and write on paper first then send it to you. I think you could Git-R-Done fairly easy. Zach

Old 10-03-2007, 05:35 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The clutch is hydraulic which is why I stated that you would need the 'clutch' master cylinder. The firewall will have to be modified for the clutch pedal pass-thru. Everything else should be bolt on or plug in. Shift fork... No shift fork on an hydraulic clutch setup... You will need to bleed the clutch once you get everything hooked up between the clutch master cylinder and the hydraulic piston on the front of the transmission.

Doing the console swap, you may want to have the proper shift cable as well as it has the proper passthrough fitting on it that is different than the column shifter. I also think that the floor shifter cable is shorter than the console cable. Sure it can be done, but if you are going through all of the trouble, why not do it right.

Quick Reply: center console and shifter