General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Cheap gas

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 11:31 AM
Red 96' will become famous soon enoughRed 96' will become famous soon enough

I paid $3.38 per gallon a few days ago here, so about .89 per liter

Old 01-19-2011, 11:34 AM
streblo will become famous soon enoughstreblo will become famous soon enough

I used canadian tire gas in the city. 1.04L right now. I would never fill up with anything but regular there as i dont thinky many people buy premium there and the gas probably gets a bit old. I get 7 cents a liter back in can tire cash which i use for buying oil and filters, and other little things for the blazer etc. I havent ran comparisons with gas consumption between can tire and others but right now i have so much warm up with the command start, stop and go with short distance trips etc that i figure the cheaper gas would even out with more expensive gas and slightly better distance per tank. In the summer i will be running shell all year as there is no can tire gas where i will be living in the summer so i will be able to take an average over a few months and see the difference.

When im out of the city and on the highway it is very seldom to come across a can tire gas bar, i will usually run shell when im on the highway, and every once and a while ill give the blazer a treat with some premium and shells supposed added cleaners in it.

Now im curious to run a test with other gas and see which has better mileage. cant really do it in winter because of the varying temperatures and inability to put controls on the variables, and without being in the same city this summer i wont be able to test it under the same circumstances, travel routes etc. Sometime when i have even temps i think i will try running a different gas each month and see if i can come up with monthly averages and any noticeable differences.

Old 01-19-2011, 11:04 PM
xmradioguy is an unknown quantity at this point

blazinloud most of the gas delivered to saskatoon comes from the coop upgrader in Regina, Other than shell, petro or esso most of it will be from coop, Even then I wouldn't be shocked to find out that the big brands use it too. Husky fuel used to come from manitoba not sure if it still does or not,but mohawk/husky does not come from coop at all that I know of.

Old 01-21-2011, 12:09 PM
BF Veteran
blazinloud is an unknown quantity at this point

funny you say that xmradioguy. I could have took a job at that very plant a few weeks ago, supposed to be a long one too, but didnt want to live away from home for that long, even though its great $

I have worked in the past at the husky oil refinery, its in Lloydminster.

heres a few pics from when i worked there in 07 i think. did 7-10's for 3 months straight

Old 01-21-2011, 12:26 PM
Starting Member
wheelhead4x4 is on a distinguished road

Holy s--t. That place looks like a little city on its own.

Old 01-21-2011, 12:40 PM
BF Veteran

my favourite place to work so far. about $2500 a week when i was a 2nd year apprentice. very dangerous also, they had 1 major explosion on dayshift (i was nights) and people in the city said they heard and felt it! you can see how far it is in the background. although i was sleeping, didnt hear a thing lol

luckily nobody died, only minor injuries, and lots of hearing problems. also theres H2S pretty much everywhere, lots of jobs under supplied air, and they dont even let you walk to the bathroom solo through some plants.

this place is only about a fraction to what fort mac is i hear

Old 01-21-2011, 01:42 PM

I remember when i was a kid driving past the plant in regina i always loved looking at the flame at the very top!

Old 01-21-2011, 02:27 PM
BF Veteran

aka flare stack

Old 01-21-2011, 02:32 PM

Thats the one!

Old 01-23-2011, 11:06 PM
4x4blazerguy is on a distinguished road

We drive thousands of miles a year. I buy the cheapest gas I can find. I put a fuel filter on my F250 4x4 460 about 7 years ago. Our Blazer had one put on in 08 with a new pump & that was almost 75,000 miles ago. I use Lucas Fuel Additive every so often. As for mileage I always get better in the summer. I use to buy 85 octane for our Blazer @ a cheap station & use to get the best mileage. So from my years I find no real big difference.

Quick Reply: Cheap gas