General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Chipmunk infestation

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 10:31 PM
ComputerNerdBD is on a distinguished road
Default Chipmunk infestation

Well I don't know how to say this, but my truck has become a chipmunk magnet. I am finding nuts everywhere. Other than the "normal" places like on the tires and even on the engine block and on top of the battery, yesterday I found a stash literally on top of the transmission between it and the body behind the fuel lines. Tonight, I found a stash INSIDE the frame rail on the driver side. The little holes on the bottom of it had huge nuts in there bigger than the hole. I only saw about 5 near the hole, but there seem to be more in the frame rail. No idea how they got inside the frame rail. I have heard of chipmunks chewing wiring and I hope that is not next. Or even damaging fuel and brake lines. Does anyone have any "humane" tips of getting rid of them aside from training my mother's dog to hunt them? I tried mothballs once, but when I put them under the hood in certain places they fell on the engine block, melted and stunk up the garage. This was after I found a nest on top of the distributor (different location). I am attaching photos. Any possible way of removing the nuts from the frame rail without making cuts? What about on top of the trans without taking it out of the truck?

Also is there any possible way those rats could have gotten inside the bellhousing and cause a trans leak?

Attached Thumbnails Chipmunk infestation-2011-12-04_23-09-26_463.jpg   Chipmunk infestation-2011-12-05_22-39-57_917.jpg   Chipmunk infestation-308315_283948351623400_100000247111140_1077409_336833408_n.jpg  
Old 12-05-2011, 10:38 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

yea they tend to live in my 88 gmc k2500 since i use it once in a blue moon they stopped doing it ever since i started to make it run once a week

ALVINNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN what dave ? stop making nests in the poor mans truck

Old 12-05-2011, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by xgiovannix12
yea they tend to live in my 88 gmc k2500 since i use it once in a blue moon they stopped doing it ever since i started to make it run once a week

ALVINNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN what dave ? stop making nests in the poor mans truck
Well this is a problem here since this truck never sits for more than 8-10 hours.

LOL. I like animals, but not when they can chew wiring and cause problems that can be dangerous. One of those nuts was in the shift cable on the trans. Good thing they didn't either chew the cable or pop it out of park because the truck would have rolled.

Old 12-05-2011, 10:55 PM
Little Roober is on a distinguished road

Peanut butter sandwich (Bait) + good ol Gamo pellet gun + 12 year old neighborhood kid = nutless blazer.

Old 12-05-2011, 11:14 PM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

red fox urine...

yes...i said that..Go to your local sporting good store and ask for it. put some on your frame, etc once a week for a few weeks. they will find somewhere else to live as they are a prey for fox's.

Old 12-05-2011, 11:57 PM

Little Roober: Believe it or not, one of my old friends from Scouts told me I should camp out with a BB gun. Good idea, but not so much when it comes to brake and fuel lines. Plus I don't have a BB gun. Otherwise I would do it as long as they were not directly under the truck.

Chris015: Is that stuff wildly available? As in not just online? That is a good idea. Little on the frame, a rag with it under the hood, some on the trans and some on the skid plate. Might prove very useful.

Old 12-06-2011, 12:22 AM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

walmart used to have it. i used to use it on my feet when i went deer hunting to cover my tracks. heres what i used to use and it smelled like you wouldnt believe.

Keller's Red Fox Urine Gel Scent Shield 2 Oz | eBay

its a gel too. so it'll "stick" better

Old 12-06-2011, 12:33 AM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

Best method I've found is to play the Alvin and the Chipmunks Christmas album on a loop.

Works like a charm!

Old 12-06-2011, 11:23 PM
Brian_D will become famous soon enoughBrian_D will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by AJBert
Best method I've found is to play the Alvin and the Chipmunks Christmas album on a loop.

Works like a charm!
^^^ they cannot resist.

Old 12-09-2011, 11:36 PM
ohsofly will become famous soon enoughohsofly will become famous soon enough

DUDE...! That fox urine would probably work for keeping those damn stray cats out of my garbage! Thanks for the tip bro!