General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Chrome bezel mishap - grrr

Old 01-16-2010, 12:21 AM
Beginning Member
99blazernky is on a distinguished road
Default Adding polished stainless gauge bezel

I had a chrome bezel covering the gauge panel in a Ford Ranger a had and loved the way it looked. So I thought I would add one to my Blazer. Easy enough right? Oh lord......

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWNX%3AIT

Went to ebay, made sure that's what my gauges looked like, and ordered it. I know I know it's a minor upgrade but an upgrade in the least. I got it in tonight and just couldn't wait to get it installed. Got home from work at 11:15 PM and made it almost until 12:00 AM before I said screw it I gotta install this thing now.

I go out and pull the gauge cluster out and bring it in the house. Pop the front of the gauge cluster off and install the gauge bezel. Purrrrrty. I likey I likey. Go to put the clear plastic cover back on and hmmmm wait it's not going back on. Get to looking at it and the bezel is covering two sprues from going into their corresponding holes. No biggie - we will just snip those off. Turn it to the front to look at how pretty it is and DOH!!!!!!! The black gauge cluster cover is attached to the clear cluster cover with glue. You can't get them apart. I take the bezel back off while saying a few choice words and put everything back together in the truck. I go on eBay and go to email the people I bought it from and get to looking at the pics that they have. If you look you can see the one with the black cover on the gauges there is a shadow but the second pic with the bezel looks as if it is sitting straight on the gauges itself.

I ended up accidentally breaking the clear plastic cover so just installed it to the black cover. It looks good to be a mishap.

Edit 1/19/10: Upon getting a hold of the eBay seller I was told that with this particular bezel I was supposed to get rid of the clear plastic piece. So I installed it right and didn't even know it. Cool!
Here's some pics:

Normal gauge cluster in the truck:

Here it is installed:

Here it is with the truck started:

Last edited by 99blazernky; 01-19-2010 at 12:09 PM.
Old 01-16-2010, 12:27 AM
BF Veteran
wlorton has a spectacular aura aboutwlorton has a spectacular aura about

Wow... I did not know this, I actually think I have that in my Watching now on Ebay. This is very good information to know. Is there anyway to modify it to work? I know its late, but tomorrow I bet you think of something.

Old 01-16-2010, 12:50 AM
Beginning Member

The black piece is the part that snaps onto the cluster panel so I don't think there is a way without trimming the black piece from inside and that wouldn't look good in my opinion so that's out for me anyways.

Old 01-16-2010, 07:40 AM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

Hmm...thats pretty nice looking. Any shots of it installed?

Old 01-16-2010, 09:12 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by Sisk
Hmm...thats pretty nice looking. Any shots of it installed?
That's just it - I couldn't install it. The black plastic piece that covers the gauges is glued to the clear plastic cover piece so no way to get it in there to tape it in (uses double sided tape).

If you'll look in the second pic you can see the shadow from the black plastic cover piece standing above - actually connected to the clear piece with glue. In the third pic you'll see I installed the bezel straight onto the gauges as I thought it should go. Only problem is A) the cover will no longer fit and B) the black plastic piece in the second pic just covers the bezel completely.

Old 01-16-2010, 09:24 AM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

haha whoops. Sorry, I clearly didn't read the post lol. That sucks. Did they write you back yet? I'd ask for my money back, or instructions on how to properly mount it.

Old 01-16-2010, 04:39 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by Sisk
haha whoops. Sorry, I clearly didn't read the post lol. That sucks. Did they write you back yet? I'd ask for my money back, or instructions on how to properly mount it.
I haven't heard anything as of yet. I'm assuming I'll hear something Monday or Tuesday.

Old 01-17-2010, 03:00 AM
Beginning Member

Well I got it installed. Not the way I wanted to but it still looks good.

Old 01-17-2010, 09:23 AM
Phil is on a distinguished road

They may have sent you the wrong one. Either way glad to hear its installed now. Allow me to be the first to say: PICS PICS PICS!

Old 01-19-2010, 12:10 PM
Beginning Member

Found out today that what I did is the way it is supposed to be installed. Got the email this morning.