General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

code readers

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 10:47 AM
vetteandblazerman has a little shameless behavior in the past
Default code readers

which code reader should i buy for my 1999 42k mile 4d 4wd blazer, thanks

Old 12-18-2008, 11:20 AM
Starting Member
FlatTopFoley has a little shameless behavior in the past
Default RE: code readers

I have this one that I use on my 97 taurus(and it gets used alot trust me) and several other vechicles

http://www.autozone.com/selectedZip,.../selectZip.htm

it comes with a code book for everything, and a CD rom where you can load it up on your PC, put in make a model and a trouble code and it spits out exactly whats wrong.

Old 12-18-2008, 04:03 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Any budget? What do you want it to do, only read codes?

You may also want to try a search or check the related threads section below.

Old 12-18-2008, 11:30 PM
c5ce is an unknown quantity at this point

To my feeble mind, if you're doing maintenance/repairs that requires a code reader, you will all so have the need to RESET the code.

I'd look for that feature as well.

I have no idea as to which models are required. But it would nice information to have.

Too bad me and "search" don't get along very well. [sm=pcwhack.gif]

Old 12-19-2008, 07:08 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I guess you did not catch the last part of my reply... RELATED THREADS at the bottom of this page... Specifically the first "related thread" - Suggested OBD-II Code Readers.

I guess I have to ask the first question again because you seem to have glossed over it as well. Price range? What do you want to spend on this? This is where it all starts.

And I guess I will rephrase the second question. Do you want it to only read/reset codes or do you want it to be able to read sensor data as well? I know you specifically stated you wanted it to read codes, but many times, the actual diagnosis of those codes requires data to be read (unless the shotgun approach to auto repair is used). Often, the ability to read sensor data does not cost all that much more at the time of purchase (back to the how much do you want to spend question). If you ever think you will need to read the sensor data, then now is the time to get a scan tool that is capable.

These questions are not asked out of jest or because I "missed" something in your original post. If you want to be smart, I will leave things be. If you want help, please answer the questions.