General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Considering doing a V8 swap

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 07:53 PM
Starting Member
91chevywt is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Considering doing a V8 swap

So, i'm potentially getting rid of my Camaro come spring, and I was thinking of getting rid of the Jimmy also. I've had my eyes on a V8 dakota, but i'm starting to think i may miss the old jimmy. I like the features and styling, its just that I would like a toy, and the jimmy seems to be too gutless for that. I've been contemplating swapping in a 350 but the more I look at it, the harder it seems. I'd definitly be retaining the 4x4, 4L60E, fuel injection (TBI most likely) and would want to keep the a/c as well.

I'm wondering if anybody has done a similar swap? I'm looking for opinion to see if it would be worth it. I could buy a v8 dakota for about $4-5k and it seems like it would be A LOT less work

This would be on a '94 GMC Jimmy, automatic 4x4 with the 4.3 CPI

Old 02-14-2010, 07:59 PM
BlazerGuy2001 is on a distinguished road

http://www.jagsthatrun.com/Pages/Che..._S-10_V-8.html

buy it and you will not regret it! i bought mine and its loaded with info especially on your model truck. the best way to learn is to just read up

Old 02-14-2010, 09:46 PM
NVANZEE will become famous soon enough

do a search for v8 swap this has been talked about many times

Old 02-14-2010, 10:18 PM
Starting Member
91chevywt is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by NVANZEE
do a search for v8 swap this has been talked about many times
Thanks, I understand that. Everything I've seen talks about how its done. I'm capable of doing the work, I'm more or less trying to figure out if it's worth it. So far it seems like a waste of time for a mostly stock 4x4 application.

Old 02-14-2010, 10:27 PM
NVANZEE will become famous soon enough

oh ok. Its kind of up to you. Some people may think its a waste for a stock truck but some dont. I personally think it would be a lot of fun to have. I plan on dropping a V8 in mine eventually.

Old 02-14-2010, 10:51 PM
Blazin_Jason will become famous soon enough

Do the v8 swap. V8s10.org has lots of info. If you have ever thought about adding a body lift, now is a good time. It will give you some extra room to play with. Not 100% needed but makes life easier.

Old 02-15-2010, 12:30 AM
BF Veteran
wlorton has a spectacular aura aboutwlorton has a spectacular aura about

Why are you getting rid of the Camaro???

Old 02-15-2010, 03:40 AM
bigkhans is on a distinguished road

Nice thing about the V8 swap is that you can reuse the waterpump, timing chain and cover, plus the existing bracketry so you can still have the serpintine belt. I believe even the TBI can be reused. Granted I have yet to read up on this but I was thinking that a person could get away with simply swapping the ecm and prom chip, exhaust manifolds, intake manifold and the distributer. That plus adapting motor mounts and custom oil pan. I don't think I left anything out. This would be staying with tbi induction.

Old 02-15-2010, 06:59 AM
BlazerGuy2001 is on a distinguished road

I don't believe the ECM needs to be swapped out. Just a simple reflashing and it should be all set

Old 02-15-2010, 07:12 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Whether or not it is worth it is a personal decision. If you want more power and a larger aftermarket, a V8 swap is the way to go. There are no two ways about it. It is the easiest and most cost effective way to get more power under the hood. There are more exotic ways that can be explored while keeping the 4.3L in place, but there is very little in terms of an aftermarket for this engine.

Originally Posted by bigkhans
Nice thing about the V8 swap is that you can reuse the waterpump, timing chain and cover, plus the existing bracketry so you can still have the serpintine belt. I believe even the TBI can be reused. Granted I have yet to read up on this but I was thinking that a person could get away with simply swapping the ecm and prom chip, exhaust manifolds, intake manifold and the distributer. That plus adapting motor mounts and custom oil pan. I don't think I left anything out. This would be staying with tbi induction.
To use the TBI unit, you would want to swap out the injectors to the larger v8 injectors.

Originally Posted by BlazerGuy2001
I don't believe the ECM needs to be swapped out. Just a simple reflashing and it should be all set
A new chip to be more precise.

Quick Reply: Considering doing a V8 swap