Coolant Port Pitting - Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Old 07-10-2018, 10:08 PM

steveduns is on a distinguished road
Default Coolant Port Pitting

Need some advice. I'm rebuilding my 2000 4.3L and getting ready to install the intake manifold. Heads have pitting around a few of the coolant ports. They checked out at the machine shop but don't know if they looked at the pitting specifically. The aluminum intake has some pitting as well but not as bad. I was taping off the heads to fill bad spots with JB Weld when I began to question what I was getting ready to do. Attached are some pics of the pitting and the Felpro gasket that came with the rebuild kit.
- Is the pitting bad enough to go thru filling with the JBW?
- I've read differing opinions on using JBW for this - any opinions?
- Is there a better gasket to use instead of the felpro for sealing when there are pits?
Blown intake gasket is the reason for rebuild so I want to make sure to get this right. Appreciate any insight you guys have.
Attached Thumbnails
Coolant Port Pitting-20180710_210457.jpg   Coolant Port Pitting-20180710_211209.jpg   Coolant Port Pitting-20180710_210720.jpg  
Old 07-11-2018, 09:25 AM

Rusty Nuts is on a distinguished road

If the pics shown are the worst ones then that's not too bad. When I'm concerned about something not sealing correctly I use aviation gasket sealant. Then say a short prayer for whoever has to take it apart someday in case it's me. That stuff keeps planes in the air.
Old 07-11-2018, 06:17 PM

blazen_red_4x4 is on a distinguished road

I've seen many just put a thin layer of gasket sealant on the head and intake to mate to the gasket, and it will typically fill up the small crevasses in the pits and seal things up nicely. Never done it before myself, but have heard multiple people swear by the method for putting older worn in engines back together that might not have perfect gasket mating surfaces.