General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

current and future blazers

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 04:07 PM
gcg
Beginning Member
gcg is on a distinguished road
Default current and future blazers

We all like our Blazers, but its been 7 years since the last one was made and they won't last for ever.

My question is and discussion point, what are GMs current range of Blazer equivalents like compared to the Blazer, both on and off road.

Being in the UK I cannot actually see or test any of them as the Blazer was the only imported chevy.

The direct size equivalent seems to be the GMC Terrain, and its chevy equal, which I don't think looks as good as the Blazer.

The Tahoe looks good. Both however are crossovers, does anybody know if this effects their offroad ability?

Old 12-07-2010, 04:22 PM
BF Veteran
DKSDAD is a jewel in the roughDKSDAD is a jewel in the roughDKSDAD is a jewel in the rough

The GMC Terrain and the Chevrolet Equinoz are both crossover vehicles. You can get them in front wheel drive or all-wheel drive, however the AWD is not a full time system. The vehicle is generally FWD and if the frt wheels slip it puts power to all 4 until the slippage stops and then back to front wheel drive. They are available in 4 or 6 cylinders with the 4 having 183 hp and the 6 has 256hp. Neither vehicle is designed for off-roading in any way other than a hard packed road or parking field. The Tahoe's and Yukon's are both full size SUV's with full frames and selectible 4 wheel drive systems. these vehicles can be driven off road but unfortunatly have a starting MSRP in the low $40,000 range. I work for a GM dealership and we are constantly telling our trainers and area sales reps that GM needt to come out with some sort of 4 wheel drive vehicle that is not to expensive or some sort of modified system for the Terrain/Equinox that will let you lock the awd in the engaged mode and with a slight lift and more aggressive tires since the ground clearance in the front is about 6-7 inches. I have lost a few sales to Jeep from long time GM owners when their Envoys/Trailblazers have leases that ended because we do not have an entery level or at least a lower priced 4x4. Speaking of which the Chevy Trailblazer and the GMC Envoy are what really to the place of the Blazer and Jimmy. Sorry for the rant good luck. By the way I own both a 1995 Chevy Blazer (original owner) and a 2006 GMC Envoy XL (original owner).

Old 12-07-2010, 04:46 PM
97cherryblazer will become famous soon enough97cherryblazer will become famous soon enough

i would love to see a new version of the blazer come with a Zr2 package again just like the tahoe and suburban have the Z71 package

Old 12-10-2010, 02:58 PM
gcg
Beginning Member
gcg is on a distinguished road

For effective off roading, or just in the snow, it is not only permenant 4wd that is important but low range gearing. I really like GM vehicles, GMC prob my favorite to the extent I will import, but with no offerings I can't. The Tahoe price is not the only drawback, as an MD it doesn't matter that much, it is also the size, British roads really arn't that wide, as neither the parking spaces.

If GM don't bring out some smaller off roader in the next five or so years, I have two choices, Ford or Japanese, as Land Rover over here is too cliche and Jeep look tacky and the Dodge Nitro looks like a toy car.