General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

DEAR GOD!!! t5he rust

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2008, 07:46 PM
Tippman7641 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default DEAR GOD!!! t5he rust

well, decide to finnly do someting about the disturbing amounts of rust under my truck, i have pb(from work) wish works well a dremel with a small wire wheel and a large wire wheel, and more sugguestions on removing this stuff ?
BEFORE

AFTER
this is wat was left afther just cleaning the obvious rust

the diffe was literaly caked in with rust, took about whole can of pb to remove it, and most of its still there

\

Old 04-05-2008, 08:17 PM
NVANZEE will become famous soon enough
Default RE: DEAR GOD!!! t5he rust

I actually just finished doing my frame. All i did was go over it with a wire brush a few times to knock off most of the rust. Then i used rubberized coating on it. It cost about $10 a can.

Old 04-05-2008, 09:02 PM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute

A new rear diff cover is about $15, plus the cost of the replacing the gear oil. Just FYI for future reference.

EDIT: Sorry and a new gasket, but most covers come with one.

Old 04-05-2008, 09:16 PM
Tippman7641 is an unknown quantity at this point

actually i planned on one lol, just wanst sure how much it was
how do you add oil? like when i added the new cover, how do i put new oil in
?

Old 04-05-2008, 09:51 PM
BF Veteran
thegr81 is on a distinguished road

There should be a plug on the front side of the differential that takes a large allen key to remove and then you fill it there!!

Old 04-05-2008, 09:59 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

Negative. It's a square drive hole. The 1/4' drive extension from any socket set works fantastically if I remember the size right.

Old 04-05-2008, 10:54 PM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about

Rust is not my friend! I cut it out and welded in new panels. Make sure that you seal your work right away or it will rust fast.

The rear diff plug can be removed with a 3/8" ratchet and short extention.

[IMG]local://upfiles/2910/87F1C5688BC2475EA58A27CF08958383.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/2910/D23A4BF01F4642D08247DD785DD36F97.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/2910/1822DACB779E49B8A61ED9D8DD89DBFD.gif[/IMG]

Old 04-05-2008, 11:00 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

Ahhh 3/8. Couldn't remember the size. Thanks Chevy Lover! And I really need to learn to weld...that looks great!

Old 04-06-2008, 12:59 AM
Taymacjack is an unknown quantity at this point

woah Ineed toget a tetnus shot just looking at these pics! have you looked into soda blasting?

Old 04-06-2008, 09:10 AM
Scooterewski is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah I did mine, too. you might want to look into the rear differential cover. I know of 2 ppl and me that theirs rusted through. For future reference, I would be sure that your fill plug will come out ok, I broke a snap-on extension off in mine and couldn't get it back out. I ended up tapping a hole in the new cover(After it was installed, which is why I say check the fill plug first, much easier to do if the cover is on a bench) and installed my own fill plug. It is at the same level as the original. My blazer came out of Ohio, down here I really don't have to worry about rust unless I go to the beach alot. Oh! and I could only find a cover at the dealer. I think it was around $20

Quick Reply: DEAR GOD!!! t5he rust