General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Deciding between 2 Blazers...

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 06:04 PM
Beginning Member
Absit is on a distinguished road
Default Deciding between 2 Blazers...

I'm looking at a 98 Blazer and a 98 Jimmy (both 2DR 4WD) and I need some input.

98 Blazer - 116k miles - $2000 (Neg.)
Black exterior Black interior
No stereo, power mirrors don't work, exhaust cut off from the cat. back, no front (door) speakers, power seat doesn't work, stutters at 30-40 mph but is fine before and after, small spots of rust, cracked front clip, cracked rear clip, ABS and Check Engine lights on, spare tire swing arm didn't release, all of the ceiling storage compartments above the center console stuck shut.

98 Jimmy - 111k miles - $2600 (Neg.)
Green exterior Beige interior
Check Engine and ABS lights on, area between passenger door and rear wheel well pushed in (approx. 1 ft high 1.5ft wide), minor rust (nothing penetrating), needs tires, passenger seat back adjustment lever gone (surprise surprise), 4wd is binding a bit on tight turns, ride was rough but I was expecting that, one of the ceiling storage compartments above the center console is stuck shut, possible leak in weather stripping on the passenger door at the top,

The 98 Jimmy would be sold as-is, no inspections of any kind and no detailing. The Blazer was detailed and will go through an inspection for brakes and anything else they can identify wrong will be noted for me tomorrow, I'll update the thread with that information.

Based on that information, how much would you pay for either one, or would you just pass them up? Also, I don't like the beige interior, I want it black. How much would it cost to swap it out, or would I be better off just painting (I kinda want to use bed liner..) the current interior? Prospective mods are aux lighting up top, push bar/brush guard up front and in the back, and modding all the interior lighting to red, and whatever else I decide to do.

Thanks in advance.

ETA: Can you replace just the adjustment lever on the seat or do you need a new seat?

Last edited by Absit; 03-25-2010 at 06:15 PM.
Old 03-25-2010, 06:48 PM
88s10Blazer is an unknown quantity at this point

I would just walk away. Neither seems to be taken care of very well.

Old 03-25-2010, 08:50 PM
BlazerGuy2001 is on a distinguished road

i agree with 88s10 both of those seem like aweful deals...i got my zr2 with 190k miles, no rust dents etc...everything working for only 2300, neither of those come close

Old 03-25-2010, 09:54 PM
Starting Member
jacobcnc is on a distinguished road

Those are both 500 dollar trucks in book.

Old 03-25-2010, 09:55 PM
Beginning Member

Alright, I'll keep looking. I just really wanted to pick one up soon.. Thanks for the advice guys.

Old 03-25-2010, 10:02 PM
BlazerGuy2001 is on a distinguished road

If you want some help looking i could lend a hand...what area are you from?

Old 03-25-2010, 10:28 PM
BF Veteran
Benedict1337 will become famous soon enough

those sounded like some craigslist specials right there. have you looked at the local used car dealerships? Blazers aren't that hard to find

Old 03-25-2010, 10:44 PM
BF Veteran
DKSDAD is a jewel in the roughDKSDAD is a jewel in the roughDKSDAD is a jewel in the rough

Those are parts trucks at best. Don't jump into anything right away,look around and ask for help from your fellow members. If you can get Vin#'s and I can do some quick checks. But those 2 are not what you want to start with unless you want them like I said for parts. Look before you Leap.

Old 03-25-2010, 10:45 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by BlazerGuy2001
If you want some help looking i could lend a hand...what area are you from?
Davenport, Iowa - I'd appreciate the help!

Originally Posted by Benedict1337
those sounded like some craigslist specials right there. have you looked at the local used car dealerships? Blazers aren't that hard to find
One was from Craigslist, and yes, I've hit every dealership, used and new, in the area. I went out looking for 2 door 98+ Blazers/Jimmys, 95+ Tahoes/Yukons, and Cherokees. I found a Blazer, a Jimmy (as listed) and a Cherokee in terrible condition. There are plenty of 4 door versions of all of those vehicles around though..

Old 03-25-2010, 10:58 PM
BF Veteran
Benedict1337 will become famous soon enough

I wanted to 2 door zr2 or a pickup zr2, but they don't have as much room and I actually ended up liking my 4 door better than the 2 doors. Still kind of wish I would have gotten the pickup sometimes... I miss my old s10 other than you could have 3 people riding comfortably 5 if you wanted to squeeze in people. not trying to talk you out of a 2 door but you should give the 4 doors a chance too

Quick Reply: Deciding between 2 Blazers...