General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Difference between Arc and Tig Welders

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 06:57 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Difference between Arc and Tig Welders

Arc welders are relatively easy. I find them to be more difficult than MIG welding comparing equal machines, especially if you start or primarily use a MIG welder.

It really sounds like you need to upgrade your MIG to a higher amperage unit with some more adjustment for fine tuning.

Old 07-31-2007, 07:00 PM
BF Veteran
blazinloud is an unknown quantity at this point

well, I've only mig'd and arc'd.....so i cant comment on tig'in, but Ive seen it being done lots on pipe........and it looks like it takes the most skill since you have to use both hands.

a monkey could be taught how to mig........I've mig'd on 2" square tubing to make a chop saw table, and a pipe rack. I mean that stuff is pretty heavy and it held no problem.

I've alos arc'd before and, yes it does take more practice, but its really not hard. and alls you need is diesel to run it. just hit it, and drag the puddle around.......easy as pie........I was trying it on stainless, and it was a mess [8D]but it was my 1st time.......

Old 07-31-2007, 07:10 PM
nofear17bmx is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok well I need a bigger Mig welder when the one I got now is going right through the metal. That doesnt make any sense. What makes sense is getting a Mig welder with more settings to lower my amperage. I am now leaning towards getting a Arc welder. Will an arc welder hold stronger then a Wig weld?

Also, what do you mean when you said:

I've alos arc'd before and, yes it does take more practice, but its really not hard. and alls you need is diesel to run it.

Old 07-31-2007, 07:18 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, missed the burnin' through part. If that is the case, then you may only need a better mig with the appropriate lower amperage settings. It's either that or stitch weld it using a bunch of small spot welds to close it back over, then grind everthing flat.

Old 07-31-2007, 07:38 PM

So what would you guys go for, and Arc or Tig welder if you are on a budget kind of. Is it really worth the extra money for a tig Welder when they are harder to use?

Old 07-31-2007, 08:07 PM
BF Veteran
blazinloud is an unknown quantity at this point

im saying once you arc a few times its easy......arc welding machines run on deisel, right?

Old 07-31-2007, 08:21 PM
BF Veteran
EuroGoldLS is on a distinguished road

I personally prefer the conventional arc on DC-, but I have always welded on thick metal...

BTW haven't seen you in a while NoFear...

Old 07-31-2007, 08:29 PM
Administrator

For what you are trying to do, I'd buy a more controllable MIG welder and sell your current one. If you have a local welding supply store, you could give them a call and tell them what you normally do with it and what you sometimes want it to do. So say you normally weld 1/8" to 1/2" stock, but would like it to range down to be able to weld sheetmetal. They'd be able to tell you the amperage range and the fine tuning required for the requirements you have.

My dad's L-Tech 250 (same as ESAB Migmaster 250 Compact) welder can weld up to 1/2" material with a single pass with heavy gage wire as well as range down to a low enough amperage to weld standard sheetmetal. But then again, it cost him over $3k when he purchased it.

It may be cheaper to buy a smaller MIG and keep your current welder so things are the same in your garage. You'd have to buy a fairly small stick welder to weld small gauge material.

And any welder can be powered by a generator. There are many contractors around me that have welder skids in the back of atleast one of their trucks with various types of welders. One even has a unit that is self powered that has provisions for MIG, TIG, Stick, and a few variations to the current carrier signal (normal AC, square wave, sawtooth wave, etc). That is one heck of a welder, but probably easily cost over $15k.

Old 08-02-2007, 11:33 PM

If I buy an arc welder can I weld aluminum and stainless steal if I buy the right filler or rods?

Old 08-02-2007, 11:39 PM
Administrator

A tig would be a much better choice for aluminum and stainless. If you were to buy a tig, I'd suggest you keep the MIG for the heavier stuff.

Quick Reply: Difference between Arc and Tig Welders