General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

It does everything, well...except START! Is it my fuel pump?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 11:36 PM
Starting Member
Melrock83 is on a distinguished road
Unhappy It does everything, well...except START! Is it my fuel pump?

Im so PISSED at my blazer!! Ive put over $1400 in it since Oct, and I love it obviously. So I get in it Sunday and I turn the key and it tried to start but didnt. It whines and whines but will not fire. I dont no how to check to see if its getting gas BUT it acts like it isnt. In my experience, I really believe its the fuel pump. It ran great the last few wks, go figure and so this is totally out of no where. Nothing happened to give me an inkling something was goin out. Its gona cost over $200 to get it replaced and thats not including the tow from my driveway, but should I go with my gut and just change the fuel pump since I feel its the issue, or is there something else I should check first?

Old 04-24-2012, 11:40 PM
Starting Member
Melrock83 is on a distinguished road

And just to give an idea of what kind of relationship my blazer and I have..when I told my best friend that once again my blazer was broke down and wouldnt start she replied "That Bytch REALLY hates you!!" And I think she may be right!!

Old 04-25-2012, 07:23 AM
Beginning Member
Sonj is on a distinguished road

Did you ever figure out if it was the pump? A somewhat simple test is to get a rubber mallet and have a buddy tap the tank a few times while you try to crank it over. If it starts then it probably the pump. If not then it could be something else.

I dont know about the 95 blazers but i do know that 98 and up have the pump/ fuel assembly all in one which is like 400+ bucks. Also, do you have a plastic tank or metal? If metal I suggest getting a new tank with the new pump. There is nothing like putting in a new pump and using the old tank and a few week later it stops due to it getting clogged by rust.

Old 04-25-2012, 04:27 PM
50lb_cat will become famous soon enough

You need to get a fuel pressure gage and hook it up to the check valve. There is a good article in the diy section. Post your numbers back, all else is shooting in the dark.

Old 04-25-2012, 04:47 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

i start by diagnosing the fuel system

96+ Fuel System Diagnosis - Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Old 04-25-2012, 09:00 PM
Brian_D will become famous soon enoughBrian_D will become famous soon enough

Turing the key on just enough for the radio to come on, listen for a hum. it should hum for about 3 seconds. if you don't hear that, it is prob the pump imo. but like xgiovannix12 says, do some more research before spending money on a pump.

Old 04-25-2012, 09:37 PM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

If you DONT hear the hum check the fuel relay 1st.

Just to save you alot of grief if it is the pump,DO NOT BUY one from a local auto parts store aka a aftermarket. it will not like it. Blazers are PICKY when it comes to pumps. only use ac delco or delphi pumps. You might say "well,this ones only 39.00 and it has a warranty,so il try it" you will get sick of dropping tanks. ive done and and i wont do it again.