General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Don't Drink and Drive or You Might Total Your Blazer/Jimmy

Old 10-18-2012, 02:08 AM
porkfriedrice is on a distinguished road
Default Don't Drink and Drive or You Might Total Your Blazer/Jimmy

Fu*k. My Jimmy is totaled. My wife was on her way home from a bar and smashed into a power pole, the whole front end is obliterated. First and foremost, she is okay. She got a bad gash on the inside of her lip from the air bag, and also a lot of bruises but other than that she is lucky. I don't want to get too detailed, but she wasn't supposed to be drinking anyway so this was a shock to me. So I am really pissed. In the past year or so I have done a lot of work on it, so it makes it even more terrible to me:

-Brakes rebuilt on all four wheels
-New lower control arm to replace broken one
-CV Axle
-Fuel Pump
-Upper and lower ball joints
-Distributor to fix P0300
-Hub assembly to fix ABS code
-DIY transmission flush
-Also bought the AutoEnginuity scan tool with the GM enhancement to help me work on the Jimmy

I've owned two vehicles my whole life (31), a '95 Blazer, and the Jimmy. The Blazer I will admit right now that I got into an accident and it was totaled. I wasn't drinking though, just young and stupid and it didn't mean as much to me as this does since I didn't really work on it much back then. This time though, it sucks.

So should I buy another Blazer/Jimmy? I know more about these vehicles than any other, but anything I would get is going to have a lot of miles, so I'm hesitant. The crash happened last night, so I haven't called my insurance company yet; I will Thursday afternoon. I assume though that they aren't going to fix it.

Old 10-18-2012, 08:37 AM
Starting Member
rezlab will become famous soon enough

sorry bout the loss but glad to hear your wife is ok. what do you consider high miles? and if you love blazers/jimmys then get another one.

Old 10-20-2012, 07:27 AM
Logan is on a distinguished road

It still amazes me how many people drink and drive. Its not like there is enough proof to show what can, and probably will eventually happen.

Old 10-21-2012, 03:02 AM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

I'd be more pissed that she would risk her life for something easily avoided than about my blazer. A blazer can be replaced, your wife, not so much.

Old 10-22-2012, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by Thogert
I'd be more pissed that she would risk her life for something easily avoided than about my blazer. A blazer can be replaced, your wife, not so much.
That's what made me so pissed, that this was a totally avoidable crash. It probably comes across that I'm more concerned about the car than her, but at this point I am at the end of my rope when it comes to her drinking. She has already been close to death twice before this due to alcohol (pancreas), so I am just a little fed up with the situation. Once I found out that she was not seriously injured or anyone else was, that's when I got mad instead of concerned. Sorry for getting too personal, but I didn't want you guys to think I was a total dick. I just wanted to vent to some other guys who might understand where I'm coming from.

Old 10-22-2012, 05:13 PM
1sttimejimmyowner is on a distinguished road
Default WOW sorry about the whole situation

Glad your wife didnt get seriously hurt but I understand when it comes to your favorite car or truck getting totaled.I have done some stupid things in my life also and wrecked some nice cars.I dont what I was more pissed about me being stupid or the result of my stupidity.Your right your insurance probaly isnt going to pay but you will,the cost of ticket,her getting license suspended and court cost.I hope yur wife gets helpwith her problem of drinking cause if it was me I probaly woundnt be married to long.I wish you all the best however the situation turns out.

Old 10-22-2012, 05:47 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Thogert

I agree....

Old 10-22-2012, 07:35 PM
ohsofly will become famous soon enoughohsofly will become famous soon enough

Agreed... A truck is a truck and can be replaced... A good wife, not so easy to replace.

I hope you kicked her *** for drinking and driving... It would probably prompt me to smack mine around a bit. Lucky for her she doesnt ever drink

Old 10-27-2012, 05:47 PM

So I'm getting $4800 from the insurance company. Not too bad I guess, since according to KBB that's what I would have gotten if I had sold it privately.

So I'm most likely going to end up getting another Blazer. There's a few with high mileage at different dealers that I could get for around what I'm getting from the insurance. Or I could spend a little more and get something with under 80K. I've never done any major engine/transmission work, and with those trucks with over 100K I'm guessing there's more of a chance that there will be problems with them. I'm pretty confident that I could tackle anything other than engine/tranny repairs. Anyone have any words of wisdom? Like I said earlier, I've only bought two vehicles my whole life, and back then I really didn't know much about cars to make a smart decision.

Old 10-27-2012, 07:13 PM
4x4blazerguy is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by ohsofly
Agreed... A truck is a truck and can be replaced... A good wife, not so easy to replace.

I hope you kicked her *** for drinking and driving... It would probably prompt me to smack mine around a bit. Lucky for her she doesnt ever drink
Sorry I can't be more sympathetic. But drinking & driving is not much different than pulling a gun on someone IMO. How many peoples lives did she endanger? Thank God she hit a pole, it could of been someones little child.
A GOOD wife doesn't drink & drive. I'd replace both the Blazer & Her.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Don't Drink and Drive or You Might Total Your Blazer/Jimmy