General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Door Hinge Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2020, 03:05 AM
Mods is on a distinguished road
Default Door Hinge Replacement

How would i - without special tools - go about replacing the hinges entirely on a 4Dr for the front doors, the sprigns are already missing, and would kits from a C15/2500 Suburban/Truck Work?

Last edited by Mods; 07-30-2020 at 03:19 AM.
Old 07-30-2020, 07:57 AM
BF Veteran
DonL is on a distinguished road

Following, moms Jimmy's drivers door is mangled and blowing pins every 2 months.

Old 07-30-2020, 08:23 AM
Cimmerian is on a distinguished road

I had my mechanic completely reweld new hinges on mine. Rock Auto has some OEM Blazer ones in stock.

Old 07-30-2020, 10:35 AM
MacroMachine is on a distinguished road

There are plenty of videos on youtube that show you how to replace them. That's how I learned that I could do it. I bought a set of four pins on amazon for about $13 (driver and passenger doors). I would just buy the door spring compressor tool on amazon too. I paid about $7 for mine a lot easier than trying to borrow one at the auto parts store.

The door spring can also be found on amazon for about $3. Junk yard blazers and S10's have them too. But again you need the door spring compressor tool.

If your door spring is gone I would take a look at the roller pin. It looks solid but if you put a screwdriver and gently move it and you feel some give that means it's probably cracked and will need to be replaced otherwise you will lose the new spring you put in. The door roller pin replacement part is a going to be a lot harder to locate. Some people mentioned pulling one off the door from the junkyard.

I am going to be replacing mine this coming weekend and I will update my thread on here so you or anyone can see how it goes.

2000 ZR2 Refresh

Old 07-30-2020, 10:54 AM
BF Veteran
DonL is on a distinguished road

For me, I've done pins numerous times, it's the hinge part itself that I'm looking to replace.

Old 07-30-2020, 11:08 AM

We're talking about the entire hinge as an assembly, on some trucks like mine the holes are nearly torn through due to the bushings disintegrating years ago.

Old 07-30-2020, 11:52 AM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

I replaced the bushings about 10 years ago (maybe I should look at them again!). I had a friend help with holding the door up I think. If I were to do it now, I'd do it in my garage and support ithe door with ropes to the roof frames and with a 5 gallon bucket underneath.

What really helps the the spring removal/installation tool.

Old 07-30-2020, 09:09 PM
blazen_red_4x4 is on a distinguished road

I wish there were hinges available that using some sort of roller bearing instead of the bushing inserts. Would probably last a LOT longer...

I've though about modding the original hinges, finding some small roller bearings that would work and drilling the holes out to fit them.

It's aggravating that they're welded to the body and door. Why GM couldn't just fasten them on with a few bolts is beyond me...

Old 09-03-2020, 04:20 PM

bit of a dead thread but this is still something i would like to know - How are the hinges welded on to these trucks? Door and body side, Seam welded around the edges or spot welded, and is it possible to remove them at home.

Old 09-03-2020, 07:57 PM
blazen_red_4x4 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Mods
bit of a dead thread but this is still something i would like to know - How are the hinges welded on to these trucks? Door and body side, Seam welded around the edges or spot welded, and is it possible to remove them at home.
I believe they're just plug welded to the body and the door. I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think there's a weld bead around the outside edges of the hinge where it meets the sheet metal on the body and door.

Quick Reply: Door Hinge Replacement