General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

door open sound

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 02:06 PM
Idriveachevy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default door open sound

Does any one know how to disable that little alarm that goes off when the door is open and the keys are in the ignition, my truck does it when my keys are in my pocket and the door is shut, or when im driving down the road and i hit a bump. i dont want to "fix" the prblem, i just want to cut and cap the wire. any information on where the wire is and what color it is would be appreciated..

Old 11-28-2007, 02:29 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: door open sound

I believe the chime module is under the dash on the driver's side. Just leave the keys in and follow the sound. On your truck you may just be able to unplug a connector to defeat it.

But then again, you may be able to just lubricate your ignition lock with some powdered graphite and have the problem go away entirely...

Old 11-28-2007, 03:34 PM
blznlowxtreme is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: swartlkk

But then again, you may be able to just lubricate your ignition lock with some powdered graphite and have the problem go away entirely...
that sounds odd, how does that work?

Old 11-28-2007, 09:45 PM

Also... has anyone ever had their keys stuck in their ignition, its happened to me the past couple of days, i hate it. at school i would bring an extra key so i can lock the doors and leave my key in the igniton...

Old 11-29-2007, 07:21 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

ORIGINAL: blznlowxtreme

that sounds odd, how does that work?
Powdered graphite is a dry lubricant. As such, it won't attract dust like other petroleum based wet lubricants will. Just take some powdered graphite and put it into the ignition lock then work it in with your key, wiping the excess off of your key after every few insertions. After a bit you should insert the key and rotate the ignition lock cylinder to work the graphite even further into the lock. With a bit of time, it should help the condition the OP is suffering from.

If your key gets stuck in the ignition, you may try to lift up on the gear shift lever while attempting to remove the key. But the more symptoms you describe, the more I think your ignition lock cylinder is almost worn out...

Old 11-29-2007, 07:24 AM

Would that work the same way if i have a console shifter?? and if my ingnition is worn out, how much do you think it will run me to get a new one

Old 11-29-2007, 08:08 AM
Administrator

Not sure on the console shifter... I don't think that it would, but there should be something there to keep the key from being removed when in gear. Wouldn't hurt to try.

On the ignition lock cylinder, the cost is relatively cheap and the labor shouldn't be all that bad. Biggest problem is that you will have a different key for the doors than you will for the ignition.

Old 11-29-2007, 07:16 PM

ORIGINAL: swartlkk

Not sure on the console shifter... I don't think that it would, but there should be something there to keep the key from being removed when in gear. Wouldn't hurt to try.

On the ignition lock cylinder, the cost is relatively cheap and the labor shouldn't be all that bad. Biggest problem is that you will have a different key for the doors than you will for the ignition.
cant you have the tumblers in thekey hole made to fit your existing key? my dad had that done in a ford f150 when his ignition messed up. im not sue if he had the doors changed to the new key or ignition switched to the old key but when it was done he still had only one key that worked everything.

Old 11-29-2007, 07:59 PM
Administrator

More than likely if you were to have the work done at a dealership they may be able to do something like that, but I know of many, MANY blazers that are out there with two different keys because of ignition lock cylinder troubles. Lastcoupe would probably be able to answer that.

Old 11-29-2007, 08:11 PM

well his was done by the ford dealer so i guess thats why. i didnt want to tellidriveachevy he could do that because i wasnt sure how much work it was to do it or if it could be done for sure

Quick Reply: door open sound