General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Driver side mirror leaking???

Old 04-12-2013, 05:09 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough
Default Driver side mirror leaking???

yeah you read that right.

couple of days ago i noticed a fluid line in my mirror. the mirror apparently had some dimming option, which i didnt know about. the mirror has always been "tinted" so i just figured p.o. did it along time ago...so i never gave it another thought.

after inspection i found a crack in the mirror frame that was leaking a snot like yellow fluid...yummmmm. i am not sure what the fluid is...didnt bother looking into it.

as for removing the glass it looked to just be two way taped to the backing plate that was mounted to the motor by one screw and spring in the center of a plastic ball joint.

so i went to a local yard and bought a heated mirror without the dimming option....never like how it looked anyways.

the following pics are of the failed mirrors autopsy....i like to take apart broken things to see what made them tick.

pic of the mirror as it looked losing fluid.

close up

backside of the mirror

mirror removed

mirror internals / motor

just some fyi for fun pics.

Attached Thumbnails Driver side mirror leaking???-photobucket-8287-1365797513828_zps88faa4e8.jpg   Driver side mirror leaking???-photobucket-37737-1365797516521_zpsdb6994d1.jpg   Driver side mirror leaking???-photobucket-10568-1365797517523_zps164552ea.jpg   Driver side mirror leaking???-photobucket-11005-1365797512846_zps4681ae9c.jpg   Driver side mirror leaking???-photobucket-10574-1365797514737_zps101f7833.jpg  

Last edited by warthogdriver; 04-12-2013 at 05:12 PM.
Old 04-12-2013, 05:21 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

weeeiiirrdddd... so they do the auto dim with fluid?

Old 04-12-2013, 05:30 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

yeah, looked similar to what a quartz watch would be like i guess.
never heard of fluid dimming either.

Old 04-12-2013, 05:36 PM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

Sounds like something a shady mechanic would try to pull. "Well, your muffler bearings are toast, and we need to top up your dimming fluid, as well."

Old 04-12-2013, 05:36 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

is that how they do the rear view mirrors too? sounds dangerous, and the fluid has to be conductive too, because they must have to pass current through it in order for it to have that reaction LOL... some things people come up with, and actually get used in things blows my mind.

Old 04-12-2013, 06:17 PM
ChevyBlazerChick will become famous soon enoughChevyBlazerChick will become famous soon enough

ewwww gross. I hate the auto dimming mirrors. Hubby's Burban has the rearview one... could not for the life of me figure out why sometimes things behind be are green and sometimes they aren't lol.

Old 04-12-2013, 06:30 PM
BF Veteran

yeah, my rear view has it but can be turned off.
yeah pull into the shop... sir i need to top off your mirror fluid and your blinkers are leaking!

Old 04-12-2013, 08:19 PM
Twip will become famous soon enough

the mirror in the truck is auto tinted by little blades in the back of the mirror that react with power input. i think the side mirror is done my adding more and more current to darken the fluid depending on what the inside mirror does.

but i could be mistaken.

Old 04-12-2013, 08:22 PM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by Twip
the mirror in the truck is auto tinted by little blades in the back of the mirror that react with power input. i think the side mirror is done my adding more and more current to darken the fluid depending on what the inside mirror does.

but i could be mistaken.
sound right about the side view, only way to find out about the rear view is take it apart... makes me want to put on my shirt *I void warranties*

and LMAO warthog.... blinker fluid is expensive enough, I cant imagine the price of mirror fluid

Old 04-12-2013, 09:08 PM
ChevyBlazerChick will become famous soon enoughChevyBlazerChick will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by richphotos
sound right about the side view, only way to find out about the rear view is take it apart... makes me want to put on my shirt *I void warranties*
I'm resisting the urge to go take apart the Burban's rear view... *twitches* I think I'll be able to.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Driver side mirror leaking???