General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

electrical malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2015, 01:47 PM
Beginning Member
matthewq94 is on a distinguished road
Default electrical malfunction

I have exhausted all search efforts for a solution to this. Please I need all the help and info and opinion I could get. I have a 94 s10 blazer and one day I go to start my truck and the 4wd electrical switch doesn't light up at all the rear wiper switch next to it has no power and the radio has no power. So first I check the fuses and low an behold the radio fuse was blown. Replaced it and nothing happened at all. I checked a wiring diagram at work and I saw that the switch for the wiper in the back shares power with the radio. So those two are not working now even with the new non blown fuse. So where do I go from here the only relays I know of are the fuel pump and ac relay. What should I move onto the switches itself or does anyone know any tricks I can do or knowledge on a solution it is snowing here now so I need my 4x4 please help me. Thanks in advance.

Old 01-07-2015, 02:52 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

There are 2 fuses and 1 circuit breaker for the TCCM, all 3 must be good. Have you checked all of them?

Old 01-07-2015, 07:18 PM
Beginning Member

It is not the tccm that is at fault the radio fuse keeps blowing it works for like 10 minutes you hit a bump or close the door and it shuts down. I have a short circuit somewhere but i can not find and wiring diagrams on where to follow the wires.

Old 01-07-2015, 07:28 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Radio, TCCM, Front axle engagement switch, transfer case switch, and rear wiper & washer are all on the same fuse. A short to ground in any of those circuits will pop the fuse. A wiring diagram will not tell you where the wiring runs, it only shows what components are on the circuits, and where the feed comes from.

Last edited by Captain Hook; 01-07-2015 at 07:46 PM.
Old 01-07-2015, 09:29 PM
Beginning Member

So do you know where i can start to look what color wires am i looking for where does it ground too cause that would save me a lot of time it is minus 20 degrees today i am trying to find a garage to do this in. There are 5 different components that could be shorting out that fuse right. In that case maybe i should try bringing this in somewhere to someone who knows what they are doing or is this something i could try to handle my self.

Old 01-07-2015, 09:40 PM

It will take time, even for an experienced tech. I could walk you through it, but it takes even longer on here

EDIT: you could start by disconnecting each item, one at a time, until it no longer pops the fuse, then concentrate on that circuit. Factory wiring usually isn't a problem until somebody starts messing with it. Adding accessories: radio, fog lights, remote start, keyless entry, security systems, trailer hitch wiring, etc.

Last edited by Captain Hook; 01-07-2015 at 09:50 PM.
Old 01-07-2015, 10:01 PM
Beginning Member

I did have an audio shop install keyless entry with remote start that was two years ago should i bring it to them or just break down and bring it to some one with more skill and resources to fix it. Btw if it was brakes or like a power steering pump i am more than capable of doing it but electrical is a weak spot for me

Old 01-07-2015, 10:17 PM

A sloppy install could go for a while without problems. Impossible to know without getting into it. Most of those places do a slam bam job, which is NOT the way to do electrical work. That's what I would check first. Something I've learned over time is that you have to assume that the last guy that worked on it, didn't know what he was doing. And that's usually the case. In other words, ya gotta start from scratch and check everything

Old 01-07-2015, 10:25 PM
Beginning Member

Well crap im just going to take it somewhere here in the chicagoland area any suggestions or places your heard of even though your from michigan

Old 01-08-2015, 05:04 PM

Nephew owns a shop in Streamwood, PM me if you're interested.

Quick Reply: electrical malfunction