General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

engine oil question

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 06:49 PM
Starting Member
vortec bowtie is on a distinguished road
Default engine oil question

In my truck I try to always use the Mobil superclean 5000 mile conventional oil sense thats what the prev. owner ran. I have 3500miles sense my last oil change so ill be doing one in the next 500 miles. My neighbor gave me 4 quarts of valvoline maxlife high mileage oil, and my question is, my blazer has 52k miles, is it ok to use the high mileage oil, then switch back to the mobil 5000 oil? I only wanna run the valvoline cause I got it for free, but if its bad to go from high mileage back to regular then i wont use it. Also, he only gave me 4 quarts. I have half a quart of the mobil oil left, is it ok to use the 4quarts of valvoline and half a quart of the mobil? Or should I just buy another quart of the valvoline? If its bad to go from high mileage to regular then i wont use the valvoline and ill just go buy the mobil 5000.

Any help/suggestions appreciated!

Old 01-25-2012, 07:47 PM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

The main difference in high mileage oils is seal conditioners. Viscosity might be tweaked a little but that's the main thing.
Consensus on bobistheoilguy is that it doesnt hurt a bit to go back to regular. Problem is that seals 'condition' only so much, it's a chemical process.
Switching from High mileage oil, bad? - Bob Is The Oil Guy

I suggest you use one quart per oil change till it's gone. It's like a 20% discount.

Btw.. why are you changing oil by miles instead of driving habits? Or is that how you arrived at when to change it.. you drive almost all short trips.

Old 01-25-2012, 07:57 PM
Starting Member
serrasalmus is on a distinguished road

i run mobil 1 full synth and i still change my oil at 3k but i get free oil changes.....

Old 01-25-2012, 08:16 PM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by serrasalmus
i run mobil 1 full synth and i still change my oil at 3k but i get free oil changes.....
You win a cookie. If I lived near you I'd ask for your used oil. Maybe give oyu 5 bucks for it.

I run Mobil 1 full synth and change my oil every year after the first one at 8,000 with M 1. that will be next summer. But my trips are mostly at least 30 minutes long. So about every 12-15,000 miles.

Old 01-25-2012, 08:49 PM
Starting Member
serrasalmus is on a distinguished road

i dont think there isnt a oil any better then Mobil 1 other then amsoil or royal purple but where i live those both are special order oils..

i do a variety of driving i work 30 miles from home and the grocery store is 36 miles from my house and we go there once a week sometimes 2, then i play all the time, i have 2 pits right next to my house that i can go play in ones a hilly climb type and ones a gaint mud hole (run off from the corn fields in the summer). i could prob get away with 5k but im taking advantage of my oil change situation as its a big plus right now, plus i get the satisfaction of that cookie i was promised. white chocolate chip macadamia nut from subway please!

Last edited by serrasalmus; 01-25-2012 at 08:55 PM. Reason: bad grammer
Old 01-26-2012, 02:26 PM
Starting Member

my shop teacher said the high mileage stuff is thicker and he said he wouldnt run the high mileage stuff and then switch back. But, he really doesnt kno that much haha. The Mobil oil I run isnt synthetic. I kno it says its good for 5000 miles, but, i just like to be safe, and as you mentioned about driving habits, almost all my driving is short trips. I drive to school and back which is like 4 miles round trip, and just short trips around town. Im sure it would probably be fine to run the high mileage, but I think I might just go buy what i usually run. Another question, I know this is discussed alot and theres not a true answer, but ill ask for opinions. What filter do you usually use? Currently I have a STP oil filter cause it was 5 bucks and i figured it had to be better then fram, and cheaper. are stp filters generally ok?

Old 01-26-2012, 03:05 PM
war00 is on a distinguished road

too me oil is oil, as long as you always got some in there lubing everything thats all that matters. me i buy what ever is on sale at the the time. i change my oil every 5000km whether it needs it or not. just my 0.02

Old 01-26-2012, 03:08 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Let's please keep the replies focused on the original question and not get into a 'which oil is better' or 'how long can I run it' debate. We have other threads for that.

Old 02-23-2012, 11:07 PM
Starting Member

thought id give a little update. Recently i discovered a very minor oil leak, seeming to be coming from the oil pan gasket. I have 4500 miles sense my last oil change, and plan on doing one monday. In that 4500 miles, I have added maybe 1/4 of a quart to keep the oil in the safe range. Before this, I have never had to add any. I dont think the leak is severe enough to justify spending $500+ on getting the gasket done, so, I think I have decided to run Valvoline maxlife synthetic blend my next oil change, and compare oil consumption. If the leak seems to have slowed down, I will continue to run it for at least a few more oil changes, to give it time to see if it really conditions that gasket. Then I plan on switching back to the mobil.

Now, not to discuss things that there are already threads on, but ive searched and havent been able to find a direct answer. Maybe its a matter of opinion, but I would like to know, is it perfectly fine to be running a synthetic blend(not full synthetic) and then switch back to conventional? I like pettyfogs idea, I just want to make sure its completely harmless to mix conventional and synthetic blend. If so, then I think Ill take his advice, and use one quart of valvoline maxlife synthetic blend, and use the mobil conventional for the other 3 and a half quarts.

Again, I appreciate all responces that have been given.

Last edited by vortec bowtie; 02-23-2012 at 11:10 PM.
Old 02-23-2012, 11:13 PM
Starting Member
brsims is on a distinguished road

Wow, y'all go quite a bit between oil changes! I only put between 60 and 70 miles on my Jimmy, and still change my oil every two months. Old habits from when I was doing considerably more driving.

Quick Reply: engine oil question