General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

engine type/identification.............

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2008, 06:57 AM
wetdog is an unknown quantity at this point
Default engine type/identification.............

.............hi guys, having looked through this site and seen many pictures i havnt seen an engine that is like mine.
all you guys seem to have 'vortec' written on the cover, but, being lpg converted i dont have the cover or stock air intake.
i was lead to believe by some guy over here, not the guy i bought the car off, that all engines were 'vortec'.
but mine seems to be either carburrated or a single point injection, not like the pictures i have seen with one injector per cylinder.

cheers,
mick.

Old 11-22-2008, 10:58 AM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: engine type/identification.............

All the GM 4.3L engines are Vortecs (named after the design of the engine heads). It was not until about 1985 that they started using the name 'Vortec' as a marketing tool. I think if you look on the side of one of the heads you will find the word cast into the metal.

Old 11-22-2008, 03:21 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, all 4.3L engines have cylinder heads of the vortec design. It was not until the introduction of the CPI motor in 92 that they stared using the Vortec name.

Seeing as how you have a 2000 Blazer, you have the SCFI motor. It does not look anything like the earlier CPI motor. It will have the Vortec script molded into the valve covers.

Old 11-22-2008, 05:06 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

'92...right. I knew that once. It's all becoming a blur.