General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

ethanol

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 06:20 PM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

E85 is great if the engine is designed for it. The octane rating is higher, around 105-110, so higher compression, and forced induction can be used. It will provide lower fuel mileage than a similar gasoline engine, due to (I think) lower BTU's? Something like that.

E15 sucks, though. In a car designed for pure gasoline, it will produce lower mileage, with none of the added benefits of E85. Most any rubber made in the last decades or so is compatible with it; so while it is possible that it will hurt the fuel lines, carbs, etc of older cars, chances are that any rubber old enough to not be compatible will be so old that it needs to be replaced, anyway.

I haven't had any problems with the fuel lines or carb in my '73 with E85 gasoline. The carb is only about five or six years old, though, and I'm sure the fuel lines have been replaced sometime in the last ten years, too.

Old 06-09-2013, 06:38 PM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

I really dont care if there is good points, its making everything cost more

Old 06-09-2013, 06:55 PM
AndrewO1991 is on a distinguished road

e85 isnt a terrible thing, the fact every station has a 15% mix is bad. Anything not made to handle it gets deteriorated quicker. Also ethonol doesnt last nearly as long stored, so dont keep it in that weekend warrior or that lawn mower over the winter. Or small engines at all for that matter...

Old 06-09-2013, 07:09 PM
BF Veteran
Old 06-10-2013, 04:35 AM
okiedoak20 will become famous soon enoughokiedoak20 will become famous soon enough

I saw a show on Dateline, Niteline,
CNN. Some news show, and they were
Disscusing all the negitive effects of the
E85 fuel. The biggest thing they focused on was the corrosive nature of the Ethonol
Im not sure on what it does to rubber or plastic
Products, but it will definatly destroy metal
And being that most news stations are on the liberal side, I thought that was interesting that they would say somthing like that, you know the truth

Old 06-10-2013, 05:15 AM
BF Veteran

The fuel lines on my chainsaw and weed whackers became brittle and crumbled like potato chips, also clogged up the carbs

Old 06-11-2013, 04:18 PM
1sttimejimmyowner is on a distinguished road

You are correct it will destroy certain types of metal,The carbs on my xs400 are succeptable to be corred away by alcohol.I also recent had a fueline bolt the E10/15 I run for fuel that became brittle and broke.I wish the government would take their ethanol fuel and shove it where the sun dont shine.I have to go to marina nearby and buy fuel and pay $1 more for pure grade gas to run in my bike.