General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Everyone got there blazer ready?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2010, 07:28 AM
Peco is an unknown quantity at this point

Yup, flushed the coolant this summer (added a block heater), get it all detailed, and just got new Goodyear Duratrac tires, hopes these do better in the snow then the BFG Longtails did. BRING THE SNOW ON!!

Old 11-27-2010, 08:15 AM
Logan is on a distinguished road

IMO, block heaters are the worst thing you can add.

Old 11-27-2010, 09:39 AM
c0a8l0v6i8n9 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Logan
IMO, block heaters are the worst thing you can add.

elaborate please

Old 11-28-2010, 09:34 AM
Logan is on a distinguished road

Out of the 10+vehicles ive owned, never used one, never had a cold starting issue. When I worked at a dealership, every car that was towed in during the winter for a no start, was 99% of the time from them not plugging it in.
I find your vehicle gets dependent on them. If its -10 and your out and cant plug it in, higher chance of it not starting.
Even with diesels. I worked with a guy who had a 2001 cummings. It was -35 celcus + windchill. HHis would fire up no problem. The shops 2002 cummings wouldent start unless it was plugged in if it went around & below -15 about.

But thats my opinion. Lots of people swear by them, I hate them.

Old 11-28-2010, 10:24 AM
streblo will become famous soon enoughstreblo will become famous soon enough

I just like the block heater because by the time i leave the building, hit command start, get in the coolant temp is already 40 and blowing at least somewhat warm air, never have cold start issues.

Got mine ready for the cold winnipeg winter (we are also known as winterpeg). Got the heated car seats in (which i made sure are wired in so they come on with my command start), touched up the whole underbody with rockergaurd to help protect against the tons of salt they dump on the road here (-10 the roads should NOT still be wet), and got my heater core wire run (i run an extension cord through the firewall behind the grill to plug in it, the cord pops out near the tow recovery hooks and wraps around a mount i put on my bush bar.

Old 11-28-2010, 07:43 PM
BF Veteran
blazinloud is an unknown quantity at this point

what? come to Canada and not plug in lol My old 88 cavi Z24, no lies, -55 with the wind chill, sat down in the car and i thought i sat on a text book, nope, seat frozen stiff. turned the key, fired right up but the entire car shook pretty violently for a while till the oil got thinner. went to drive away, and thunk, thunk, thunk, my tires were frozen into squares!

starting in the cold is pretty much dependent on how strong your battery is, but i sure know its not good for your engine!

Block heaters are a GREAT thing. theres no way your vehicle becomes dependent on them. -10 isnt cold and any vehicle should start with a decent battery in that

Old 11-29-2010, 12:06 AM
Beginning Member
Litehwk356 is on a distinguished road

got mine pretty much ready except for the front driveshaft u-joints, so imma be wrestlin it around in 2x4 unless its real bad until i get em replaced, other then that i got the chain in the back, and my offroad lights ready for the heavy falls.

Old 11-29-2010, 07:18 AM
Peco is an unknown quantity at this point

I've had a block heater on my last 3 blazers and never had a problem. I also don't plug it in everynight, only when we get cold streak of like -20f and colder.

Old 11-29-2010, 09:12 AM
Beginning Member
pbrubaker12 is on a distinguished road

I need to replace 2 u-joints, fix my ABS line, figure out why my check engine light has been on for months, check catalytic converter (since the engine light was blinking), replace an entire CV, and then figure out what the hell those clunking and whining noises are...

So I'm ganna go ahead and say No, I am nowhere near ready for winter hahaha