General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Expensive Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 01:01 PM
Beginning Member
TriBlaKer is on a distinguished road
Default Expensive Question

So I had my blazer looked at by a local transmission place and they just called me back today and due to lack of good communication, all I really know is that I need a new TC and to repair/rebuild my tranny. I heard some mumbling about bearings and bands, but nothing coherent to me. All in all they're sayin new TC rebuild and the few minor things are gonna cost me around $1700.
Now thats more than half of what i bought the truck for! ($3200) Now I'm wondering does that sound about right??

Old 04-06-2010, 05:58 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

Yep, sounds about what a shop would charge for a complete rebuild, but...

call other shops. Shop around and when/if you get it rebuilt have them build it better than stock.

Old 04-06-2010, 06:05 PM
Beginning Member

Yeah I planned on asking for better low end power if possible. Thanks though i just thought that sounded almost outrageous for a rebuild. Well as long as im at it ill try and get a warranty for this one too.

Old 04-06-2010, 06:39 PM
BF Veteran
wlorton has a spectacular aura aboutwlorton has a spectacular aura about

Where you at? There is a shop in northern IL that advertises something like $749, but I do not know anyone who has had them do work, they are about 2 hours north of me... Kankakee I believe...

Not trying to spit their name, but just know their prices... lol

Old 04-06-2010, 07:02 PM
LuvMyTJ is on a distinguished road

Most shops will give you a discount if you bring the tranny to them already removed from the truck. Also, I know near me there is a technical school that will rebuilt trannies for parts cost so the students can learn. I had one done years ago by them. I took them a B&M rebuild kit & the tranny into them and picked it up a few days later good to go.

Old 04-06-2010, 07:19 PM
Beginning Member

I live in the northern part of the mitten state, about an hour and a half south of Traverse City. So I don't have many options around here. I'm gonna have to call around tomorrow about prices now that i know whats wrong. Anyone know what they usually charge for labor and how long it usually takes?

Old 04-06-2010, 07:42 PM
Beginning Member
GMC cousin is on a distinguished road

Just got the 700r4 in my jimmy done it was 1400 cash and carry, 1 year warranty. Any reputable shop will give a warranty.

Old 04-06-2010, 07:44 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by GMC cousin
Just got the 700r4 in my jimmy done it was 1400 cash and carry, 1 year warranty.
I'm not the most car savvy person. Anyone wanna give me a crash course on what that means?

Old 04-06-2010, 08:31 PM
LuvMyTJ is on a distinguished road

CASH means they bought it off the shelf, already rebuilt for $1400.
&
CARRY means you get to install it yourself.

Old 04-06-2010, 08:37 PM
Beginning Member

I know what cash and carry is lol. I meant about the 700r4 part. I dont know much bout transmissions

Quick Reply: Expensive Question