General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Failed Ontario Emissions Test......

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 12:20 AM
Blahman20 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Failed Ontario Emissions Test......

Well I took my '95 Blazer to get "E-tested today"...and I failed, which sucks. The truck idles rough and sometimes wants to die (has been running better lately), but I thought what the heck i'll bring it in for the test and see how she goes, well it didn't go too great. I just changed the plugs in the Truck on saturday....Here are my readings, and information that anyone would have would REALLY appreciated....Readings:

Highway RPM test
HC PPM- Limit-50, Reading- 415 FAIL
CO%- Limit-0.28, Reading- 1.29 FAIL
NO PPM- Limit 696, Reading- 19 PASS
RPM-2011 VALID
Dilution-15.4 VALID

Curb Idle Test
HC PPM- Limit- 200, Reading- 119 PASS
CO%- Limit- 1.00, Reading- 0.87
NO PPM- N/A, N/A
RPM 1131 VALID
Dilution-14.9 VALID

Idle test went great (which is surprising?)...but the higher RPM test didn't go as planned lol. I am not too sure what the two reading that I failed even mean, some information there would help. I'm really thinking it's the Cat, and i'm likely going to be buying one tomorrow....any other recomondations?? Also, how do you TEST the Oxygen Sensors?? Any help?

Old 04-17-2007, 08:18 PM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about
Default RE: Failed Ontario Emissions Test......

You might be right with the cat, but I'd also be looking for a vacuum leak. Your HC at idle is on the high side, passable but high.

Old 04-18-2007, 01:27 AM

Alright, i'll look into that. I'm gonna buy the Cat tomorrow, and put 'er on...then do another test and see how she goes.

Old 04-18-2007, 03:36 AM
ChEvYhIcKkId89 is an unknown quantity at this point

i had the same problem with my s10 .. checked for a vacum leak and had none. so i replace my plugs and wires andre did thethe timing and it came threw with flying colors. also if there is a line at the emissions station dont let your car just idle at normal rpm keep the rpm up so that co2 doesnt build up in your cat...

Old 04-18-2007, 03:42 AM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about

ORIGINAL: ChEvYhIcKkId89

if there is a line at the emissions station dont let your car just idle at normal rpm keep the rpm up so that co2 doesnt build up in your cat...
Good info on your first post...and welcome to the forum.
I actually drive to the testing station in second gear just to make sure that my engine and exhaust are hot when I get there.

Old 04-18-2007, 03:50 AM

thanks

Old 04-18-2007, 05:16 AM

i had the same problem with my s10 .. checked for a vacum leak and had none. so i replace my plugs and wires andre did thethe timing and it came threw with flying colors. also if there is a line at the emissions station dont let your car just idle at normal rpm keep the rpm up so that co2 doesnt build up in your cat...
That's all you did??? The truck had been sitting for awhile, so i'm figuring it sounds like a cat problem. As for the idling problem, i'm going to be getting new wires also...maybe I should get some of those tomorrow two and slap them on while i'm at it.

Old 04-18-2007, 01:04 PM
Dabber is an unknown quantity at this point

I do what Chevylover does(I do it on allmy cars that need emission testing) I take a little detour on the highwayon my way to get tested.

Old 04-19-2007, 03:14 AM

ORIGINAL: Blahman20

That's all you did??? The truck had been sitting for awhile, so i'm figuring it sounds like a cat problem. As for the idling problem, i'm going to be getting new wires also...maybe I should get some of those tomorrow two and slap them on while i'm at it.
ya thats all i did but check your timing too. i mean you are all ready in there so might as well

Old 04-19-2007, 12:38 PM

Someone from Yahoo answers told me that it could be the Intake Gasket....which I really hope it isn't. They said to check 1-02 Sensor, 2- Map Sensor, 3- Intake Gasket.....I'm still thinking the cat more than any of those, since I have no check engine light on at all.

Quick Reply: Failed Ontario Emissions Test......