General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

first or second gen

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2007, 08:48 PM
89beater is an unknown quantity at this point
Default first or second gen

ive been lookin for a new blazer for a while now. i havent been able to decide if i want a first or second gen. so i just want to know what you guys are drving and what you like about it.

Old 07-28-2007, 11:35 PM
Mr Blazer LT is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: first or second gen

The first Blazer I ever owned was a 91 2 door. Got it for 300 bucks and I loved that thing because it had your good ol' fashioned stick and clutch and not some wimpy automatic.[:'(] It was only a temporary vehicle though. My old roomate owns a 92 Blazer 2 door with around 234k and is automatic. Really a good truck that's gonna last (its dealt with a lot of crap already). Currently I have a 98 LT 4x4 with heated leather, informative overhead console, fog lamps, had the CD/Cassette, power everything, just about all options except the sunroof. After driving these three I say definitely second gen, pretty much because I feel spoiled with my current truck (I used to drive a Saturn after all). If I had a choice of what to get, i'd get a fully equipped 2001 LT 4door 4x4 just because of the available dry pavement ready 4wd.

Old 07-29-2007, 12:04 AM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute

Mines in my signature. I like the two door first gens because of the back window. Plus, it looks more natural if you fill it in and make a delivery truck out of it. I like that the second gens are wider, and newer obviously. But something about all the curves on the truck make me feel less masculine. If I found an immaculate first gen 2 door 2wd when I was in the market, I probably would've taken that over my current vehicle.

All in all though, I agree with Mr Blazer, I'm spoiled now. Power seats, power heated mirrors, 4wd, and it's less than 10 years old! The two vehicles I've driven before this cost less than 1 year's worth of payments on this truck.

If you've got the money, go second gen. It will be newer, should be (but not always) in better condition, and if you decide to sell it, you'll get more money out of it because it is newer. If you're still in the building stages of finances, stick to what you can afford and make it work until you can do better for yourself.

Old 07-29-2007, 01:52 AM
lennyblazer is on a distinguished road

I have only owned a second gen blazer (info in my signature) and love it. It is the perfect size for me and is very versitile as a people carrier or a cargo hauler and gets pretty good gas mileage on the highway and is very capable off road even stock. Personally if I were to get another blazer I would get a 2001-2005 blazer 4dr automatic loaded up with all the options in the LS package since leather is nice but definately not needed for me in a truck. Hope this helped.

-Lenny

Old 07-29-2007, 03:56 PM

ya you guys are pritty much conferming what i was thinking. its not going to be happening in the immediate future im just kinda doing research right now. ive looked at 2 2000 ls 4doors and i really liked them. when i first got mine i wasnt really a fan of the second gens but the more i see them and espesally some of the ones on here it makes me want one more. i love mine but but im have been leaning more towards a second gen because i want something newer that will hopefully last for a while. i guess im just gunna have to go test drive a second gen. ive only ever driven mine and my dads has a 92 4 door. but anyway thanks for your input.

Old 07-29-2007, 05:28 PM
riceh8r0512 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have only ever owned a second gen, and I absolutely love it, I have never been this comfortable in any vehicle I have been in. Granted I do have some complaints about it, but everyone has complaints about vehicles right? The actually engine can end up being a slight pain, CSEFI? I think that has to be the worse design GM has come up with, can't upgrade it and it kind of on the expensive side to replace. Besides that I really have no found anything "bad" about them. I would have rather had a manual, but I'll like.

Old 07-29-2007, 05:42 PM
BF Veteran
EuroGoldLS is on a distinguished road

Theres certainly a lot more add-ons you can put on a second gens. I'd go second gen because they are more reliable... well, younger, not as worn out.

Old 07-29-2007, 08:19 PM

ya i like the body lines of the second gens. i wanted to get something that was manual but the more i look at the these blazers and how much everybody on here seems to like them it makes me want one more. i know theres some things that people dont like about them but its like that with every car. i dont think there is a perfect car out there. so i think you have conviced me. once i find a job my grandparents are gunna help me buy a new car so as soon as that happens ill start really looking.

ya i really want a second gen. reading more post about the gas milage you guys get. i dont think mines ever seen better than 16mpg. so i guess my mind is pritty much made up

Old 07-29-2007, 08:57 PM
bigjsp is an unknown quantity at this point

Modified first gens are fun too. but I also have a clean stock second gen.

They drive and handle similar. I have updated the first gen with electric windows and the air works in both of them.

first gen is faster because I updated the motor

Old 07-29-2007, 09:21 PM
BF Veteran
EuroGoldLS is on a distinguished road

Get a 2000 or newer. Its recommended that when buying a used car as a DD,not to getanything thats over 8 years old or 5 different owners.

Quick Reply: first or second gen