General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Found aluminum skid plates, good price?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 01:54 PM
Starting Member
DSMayo is on a distinguished road
Default Found aluminum skid plates, good price?

After calling the local junk yards I found the front and transfer case skid plates off a '97 Jimmy. They want $27 for each, is that a good price? Also, will the plates from a 97 Jimmy mount to my 02 Blazer without modification? I'm not sure if they are off a 2 door or 4 door... TIA

Old 04-21-2010, 06:00 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

Doesn't sound to bad. Just think what they would cost new. And they are just pieces of metal so its not like they are going to be defective

Old 04-21-2010, 08:05 PM
Starting Member
Question

That's a very good point!

So I went ahead and picked them up. I actually got all three for the price of two so I cant complain on the price.. buuuut I'm having a fitment issue. The front plate went on great but the transfer case plate doesnt seem to like mine. It appears my transfer case sits just a couple inches too far back for the plate. I also cant mount the transmission plate, Im thinking I need some kind of bracket? Here are some pictures and any help would be much appreciated!

Old 04-22-2010, 09:17 PM
96Blazernut is an unknown quantity at this point

The transfer case skid plate bolts to the transmission mount and then to the crossmember. My Blazer already had the holes tapped for the bolts. That's how it bolted up on my 96. My plate came off of a 97. If you want a pic I can get one in the morning.

Old 04-23-2010, 12:21 PM
Starting Member

Ya, the TC plate wont work on my truck, looks like it was designed with a different TC in mind.

I am still wondering how I bolt up the rear end of the oil pan plate though

Old 04-27-2010, 04:22 PM
ZR2Daddy01 is on a distinguished road

There should be two holes in the front crossmember in the recess where the front skid plate ends that's where the front of the second plate bolts. Then there should be two hangers that hang from the diff and axle bushings that's where the back of the second skid plate bolts. Also the front two holes on the transfer case plate line up with the bolts coming out of the trans mount If you take the two nuts off they are what hold the front of that plate on then the back three should line up with holes on the torsion bar crossmember.

Last edited by ZR2Daddy01; 04-27-2010 at 04:35 PM. Reason: Left part out.
Old 04-27-2010, 10:25 PM
Starting Member

Thanks for the input. Looks like Im missing the two hangers that support the middle plate... guess Im going back to the junkyard this weekend

The transfer case plate I have looks like it will bolt to the frame correctly but my transfer case hits the plate. Is there a size difference in the transfer cases over the years?

Edit: Does anyone have pictures of the brackets I need? I'm heading to the junkyard this weekend and would like to know exactly what I'm searching for

Last edited by DSMayo; 04-30-2010 at 03:44 PM.
Old 05-04-2010, 03:48 PM

I don't have a pic handy but if you still need one I can drop my plate Friday and take one. Let me know if you can't find hangars I am almost positive I can get em. I have a junk yard near by that's littered with s series.

Old 05-04-2010, 10:46 PM
Starting Member

Thanks for the offer but I found them today. The passenger side bolt wouldn't come out of the donor vehicle so I'm using 3 mounting points.. hope that holds haha

I also swapped out the TC plate for a carbon fuel tank skid plate. Ill snap some pictures tomorrow when its light out!

Old 05-04-2010, 11:53 PM

Glad it worked out for ya.

Quick Reply: Found aluminum skid plates, good price?