General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Frame: rear bushing removal?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 01:43 PM
Beginning Member
Perrydee3162 is on a distinguished road
Default Frame: rear bushing removal?

So started on my lift. My leafs have 2 diffrent size bushings 2" dia and 1 3/4" dia. Went to a few parts places and the dealer. No go on 2". GM discontinued the one. Gave North Shore Off Road a call (Vancouver) Monday gonna look through loose urethane bushings and give me a call! If that don't work there's a plastic shop in town, I heard I can get the urethane there in dowel form. So I suppose I could buy some and have it machined (turned on lathe). I've looked on the forum to see about removing the bushings in the frame. So any advice that dosen't entale fire to burn them out of frame? Or is it gonna be a drill bit show?

Old 01-13-2013, 04:29 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

the ones that the shackles go into in the very back? ive yet to see any that go bad but besides a torch if you can get a drill up there that might work, you still have to get the sleave out of there. i imagine its going to be a royal pain in the butt.

i do the rear spring bushing alot at work and it is a pain, but a fun pain, it involves cutting, burning and they air hammering out the sleeve. good luck

also im pretty sure some companies still make that bushing as the parts guy up front has ordered that one before on accident

Old 01-13-2013, 06:24 PM
mr.vls will become famous soon enough

If you are talking about the upper schackle bushings that go in the frame they are readily available. I was in the process of replacing all the bushings in my rear springs and I was able to get the bushings out of the spring end myself but I paid my local shop to remove the bushings from the frame as the gas tank is in the way and I had no way of getting in there. What makes this difficult is that the OEM not only pressed the bushings in they also flared the non-flanged end of the bushing after installation.

Old 01-13-2013, 11:04 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by abig84
the ones that the shackles go into in the very back? ive yet to see any that go bad but besides a torch if you can get a drill up there that might work, you still have to get the sleave out of there. i imagine its going to be a royal pain in the butt.

i do the rear spring bushing alot at work and it is a pain, but a fun pain, it involves cutting, burning and they air hammering out the sleeve. good luck

also im pretty sure some companies still make that bushing as the parts guy up front has ordered that one before on accident
. I'm sure someone does too. Just gotta source it more. Was hoping for that magic secret. Lol

Old 01-13-2013, 11:10 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by mr.vls
If you are talking about the upper schackle bushings that go in the frame they are readily available. I was in the process of replacing all the bushings in my rear springs and I was able to get the bushings out of the spring end myself but I paid my local shop to remove the bushings from the frame as the gas tank is in the way and I had no way of getting in there. What makes this difficult is that the OEM not only pressed the bushings in they also flared the non-flanged end of the bushing after installation.
Yes the flare is a pain.cold chisel them I suppose. Was just hoping there was some kinda jimmy rig trick someone might of known! Lots of hours and cussing I guess! Thanks

Old 01-14-2013, 12:13 AM
Blazin_Jason will become famous soon enough

Energy suspension should have the bushings you need. They have 2 sizes available.

Old 01-14-2013, 12:34 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by Blazin_Jason
Energy suspension should have the bushings you need. They have 2 sizes available.
Energy went to 91 in GM S blazers and their customs line the closest 2"bushing fit is to wide at just over 2" per half .two halves 4"wide. My leaf is 2 1/2" wide and ID of hole is 2". Bolt hole size diffrent also :-( 2 sizes you say I'll look again. I got the 1 3/4" from them allready

Last edited by Perrydee3162; 01-14-2013 at 12:41 AM.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:42 AM
coolasice will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Perrydee3162
Energy went to 91 in GM S blazers and their customs line the closest 2"bushing fit is to wide at just over 2" per half .two halves 4"wide. My leaf is 2 1/2" wide and ID of hole is 2". Bolt hole size diffrent also :-( 2 sizes you say I'll look again. I got the 1 3/4" from them allready
year of truck might help..

Old 01-14-2013, 10:05 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by coolasice
year of truck might help..
. 91 is as modern as they go on little jimmies

Last edited by Perrydee3162; 01-14-2013 at 10:08 AM.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:06 PM
Blazin_Jason will become famous soon enough

Quick Reply: Frame: rear bushing removal?