General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Frankensteining a 4 Door 98-05 Blazer Xtreme ZR2

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 01:57 AM
Beginning Member
Raditude is on a distinguished road
Default Frankensteining a 4 Door 98-05 Blazer Xtreme ZR2

Ok, I don't have a lot of money to invest in a vehicle at the moment, but I want some input from people who know more about Blazers than I do.

I'm interested in the Chevy Xtreme trim package for the Blazers, yet I can't seem to find any in good shape on Craigslist, or in my area. I then thought about Frankensteining Xtreme parts onto a standard Blazer, Jimmy, or Bravada.

Before I got this idea, I went and looked at an Xtreme Blazer, and while it looked nice, it was in bad condition, so I decided not to get it. I realized that it only had 2 doors, instead of 4, and I didn't particularly enjoy climbing into the back seats.

I also live in a place, where winters can be bad, and 4WD is needed to get across town. I am also interested in some offroading, though I wouldn't do it all the time.

I was just wondering if there are any differences that would prevent me from transfering Xtreme parts onto a stock Blazer, Jimmy or Bravada? I think the bumpers and decals will go on fine, but what about the sideskirts? Can 2 Door sideskirts fit on a door model, without any or much modification?

I was wondering if I could get a ZR2 suspension and mods, mainly the lift package and fender flares on a door with said Xtreme package.

I know it's a little uncommon, but would the parts transfer for the most part?

Old 10-30-2009, 06:39 AM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

Well Xtreme's only came in 2dr or s10 (truck) 2wd models. They also came lower than stock. I doubt they would transfer easily onto a 4dr as they have a longer wheelbase and would require some sort of extension to fit. Not to mention mounting points probably wouldn't line up.
Not too sure why you'd want an extreme body kit on the truck though if you're looking to go off roading. it would more then likely get ripped off the first time on a trail, not to mention if you're thinking of putting the ZR2 package into the mix that will add a 2" body lift which will jack up the truck and make body kit look extremely stupid.
Mixing a ZR2 and Xtreme just wouldn't be a good idea IMO. They are two complete opposite ends of the spectrum. The Xtreme is a show/street model and the ZR2 is for off roading and mudding.

Not saying it's not possible. Everything is possible with enough time and money. I just can't see it being very functional, or looking good. Body kits are meant for lowered vehicles for a reason..not lifted off roading vehicles. And as I mentioned the first time you take this "XtremeZR2" off roading you can almost guarantee you will kiss that body kit goodbye the first trail you go on.

Last edited by Sisk; 10-30-2009 at 06:41 AM.
Old 10-30-2009, 11:40 AM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

some one should really chop that up on photoshop! OMG! That would be ... Odd...
I agree with Sisk: Xtreme package is the opposite of the ZR2. It would be like taking a city kid from Baltimore and dropping him on a farm in Iowa... awkward...

I had a slightly pimped 4WD with NO lift and I though it looked ridiculous. Euro lights, SS bumper, Chrome Street Scenen Grille, to me it looked .. fruity...

To each his own, but if you can get someone to photo shop that, you might reconsider...

Old 10-30-2009, 06:47 PM
Biohazed is on a distinguished road
Old 10-30-2009, 08:44 PM
Beginning Member

I was actually going to try to 'shop it last night, but I can't find any images that match up with each other well enough.

Old 10-30-2009, 09:12 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

that might work biohazed.

Sisk is right about the damage that'll occur once you leave the black top. hell, even the stock front bumper on my '98 is cracked on both corners from the lady who originally owned the truck, and all she did waas clip snow banks.
if you truely want a unique rig, why not look into Road Armor bumpers (www.roadarmor.com) they're unbelieveable!

Old 10-30-2009, 10:17 PM
Beginning Member

Ok, I spent some time Photoshopping a few pics to show kind of what I want. I moved the wheels in Photoshop, to make it look jacked up. I didn't feel like recoloring it, though I'd like it all one color or two-toned with a Black Base.

Base 4 Door Blazer
Chevy Xtreme Parts

Old 10-30-2009, 11:30 PM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

If that is the look you are going for, you are going to have one major problem. You will need a minimum of 2 skirts for each side. you will have to chop and fit the two together to bridge the extra distance from the 2nd door. you would then have to shave it, and blend it with bondo to make the fin flare at an even angle. Then come the paint. At that point you are going to be into it for quite a bit of $ unless you are a damn find body resoration/fabrication guy...

Old 10-31-2009, 10:26 AM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by old skool luvr
that might work biohazed.

Sisk is right about the damage that'll occur once you leave the black top. hell, even the stock front bumper on my '98 is cracked on both corners from the lady who originally owned the truck, and all she did waas clip snow banks.
if you truely want a unique rig, why not look into Road Armor bumpers (www.roadarmor.com) they're unbelieveable!
It's such a shame they don't make a road armour bumper for the Blazer anymore . It is by far the most wanted bumper for Blazers (off road ones anyway) and they are EXTREMELY hard to find. And when you do...expect to pay a pretty penny.

As for that photoshop....don't take this personally...but it's probably one of the ugliest Blazer's I've ever seen lol . Body kits do not belong on lifted rides IMO. They are meant for lowered street rides. Besides it being fugly, the practicality is going to be a major issue as I mentioned before. You can guarantee you won't have much of that body kit left after you take her off road for the first time.

Old 10-31-2009, 07:54 PM
bulwaagh is on a distinguished road

agreed. The first time you hit a snow bank, you will rip it to shreds.

Quick Reply: Frankensteining a 4 Door 98-05 Blazer Xtreme ZR2