General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Fuel Can Nozzles

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 08:38 PM
rockp2 will become famous soon enough
Default Fuel Can Nozzles

So I'd like to know who the engineering school dropout was that came up with those stupid nozzles on the fuel cans now. That bone-head deserves a serious poke in the eye. Obviously he/she has never tried to use a 5 gallon can to pour gas in a vehicle gas tank. It only takes about 30 minutes for the can too empty because it can't get air. There was nothing wrong with the old fashioned pour spout with the vent cap on the back of the can. But noooo some Richard Head had to make it "better".

Two pokes in the eye go to the jerk-off that said "Hey, what a great design. This will save the environment because people won't spill their fuel now." Every time I fill up my tractor and pull back on that green spring I think of how my wife doesn't have the grip to do it....nor stand there for a couple of hours waiting for the fuel to come out.

Three pokes in the eye and a kick in the head go to all those EPA or whatever alphabet government organization folks were that demanded the new spout be mandated (which it must be because every can has them now). I'm sure this bomber idea probably came out of the same brain trust as ethanol or as "Smart Guns".

I'm not going to say I'm the brightest bulb on the tree, but there are days when I wish more than anything that we would just take all the warning labels off of everything and let nature take its course. That way we wouldn't have to deal with these "better" ideas because someone couldn't figure out how to work an old fashioned fuel can without spilling it....or pouring gas on a fire directly from the can or whatever the excuse was.

Last edited by rockp2; 04-24-2014 at 08:45 PM.
Old 04-25-2014, 05:52 PM
rexazz2 will become famous soon enough

to add to your rant
my 2014 ford has a trick funnel with the spare tire in case you need to put gas in from a can
the spout alone will not spring open the capless fuel filler

I have also heard of people getting the fuel nozzle stuck in the filler

Old 04-25-2014, 06:08 PM
Starting Member
JavierEscalonJr is on a distinguished road

I remove the spout on my gas can and put one those oil funnels not small one but a large one

Old 04-25-2014, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by rexazz2
to add to your rant
my 2014 ford has a trick funnel with the spare tire in case you need to put gas in from a can
the spout alone will not spring open the capless fuel filler

I have also heard of people getting the fuel nozzle stuck in the filler
Hah! So it wasn't just me then. I just put in a brand new filler tube and that friggin nozzle got caught in it last night. I'm not sure but I think the little flap in the filler tube might be a little bent now. It's the first time fuel even touched it. When I fill my Kubota with diesel it has a big wide open mouth for the tank and it's a pain enough to hold that can up as it dribbles out the fuel. There is no way the window-lickers that demanded, designed, conceptualized, built or approved these things even tried to test it out by pouring fuel into a car.

Moron #1: "Duh, well we're finished guys...should we test it on a car?"

Moron #2: "Duhhh... what for? See I turn it upside down, twist this thing and then pull back on the nozzle and gas comes out fine."

EPA Department Head (also known as Moron #3): "No matter...we are saving the environment and people from themselves. In addition I have a directive from the White House to come up with ideas to make people want to buy Prius cars. This will help in that effort!....Has anybody seen my helmet? We have to get back on the bus now."

Slowly but surely I am turning into a grumpy old man!

Last edited by rockp2; 04-25-2014 at 06:14 PM.
Old 04-25-2014, 09:47 PM
rexazz2 will become famous soon enough

here is a read on a ford focus forum
Gas pump nozzle stuck in capless fuel tank - Focus Fanatics

check your local craigslist , bound to be old style gas cans for sale on there cheap and you can even buy replacement vent/nozzle kits for them
Just curious if the yellow jerry cans for "diesel" are that new style

Old 04-25-2014, 10:05 PM
er0ck273 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by JavierEscalonJr
I remove the spout on my gas can and put one those oil funnels not small one but a large one
+1 i thought i was the only one who did that haha

Old 04-26-2014, 07:41 AM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

the plastic one ones i have like that i just drilled a hole where the vent is supposed to be and put in a wing nut with a rubber washer.

i really dont know the point, if its for the enviroment i make a way bigger mess with these newer ones then i did with the old vented ones

as far as getting stuck in the filler neck of the truck, my 86 k30 has a 3 inch filler hole
problem i always have is the stupid thing falls out lol. some stations i can get the entire rubber boot to fit in there and that will hold it, other wise i just have to hold it

Attached Thumbnails Fuel Can Nozzles-maxresdefault.jpg  

Last edited by abig84; 04-26-2014 at 07:50 AM.
Old 04-26-2014, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by rexazz2
Just curious if the yellow jerry cans for "diesel" are that new style
Yes the yellow diesel containers have them also. That's how I first got introduced to them. I had bought two new containers a couple years ago and the nozzles were inside the can. So I didn't even notice the abortion until I took the nozzles out to fill the cans. After the first time using it, I thought they were just some gimmick that one company had come up with.

abig84, I was thinking about a couple ideas to put a vent in the can and I might try your idea.

By the way, I found out why they changed the spouts. It turns out that it definitely was the EPA and California led the way on the requirements because they stated that utilizing a gas can released (pouring gas from the can into your equipment) "...hydrocarbons they emit into the environment have come under the scrutiny of state air quality boards seeking to reduce air pollutants." The claim is "Having determined that gas cans account for approximately 87 tons per day of smog-forming pollution, equal to emissions from about a million cars...".

California’s ARB identified five ways that gas cans contribute emission pollutants: evaporation and spillage during transportation and storage; spillage and/or over-filling as fuel is being dispensed; permeation of vapors through walls of plastic containers; spillage and evaporation through secondary vent holes; and vapors escaping while fuel is being dispensed.

And people wonder why I can't stand the EPA. It's ridiculous that DC uses California and New York as representative of the entire Nation's wants needs and desires. I guess it's job security...they have to keep looking for things to "govern" to justify their existence and their budget requests.

Oh, also it is stated that the requirements on the nozzles was adopted from the CA requirements which "Meet minimum flow rates established for each size container." I guess the minimum requirement is 1oz per minute.

Old 04-26-2014, 06:57 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

I hate the new design, was stuck in Wisconsin on a storm chase, ran out of gas, station up the road had one of those cans they let us use, quickly found out his car had that flap inside, I had to hold that damn thing open with my fingers to get gas in the car

Old 04-28-2014, 10:17 AM
mr.vls will become famous soon enough

A while back I was looking for replacement spouts for my old style gas cans and found this site. I had a couple spouts left over and after reading this post I decided to see if they would fit my CARB Compliant cans. They fit perfectly so I ordered enough spouts for all my cans and I ordered a pack of 10 plastic push in vent caps on ebay. I will convert all my cans to non-CARB compliant.

RotopaX Replacement Parts- Conventional Spout Set

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-Yellow-Ve...item3ce022b714

Last edited by mr.vls; 04-28-2014 at 10:25 AM. Reason: Added Link

Quick Reply: Fuel Can Nozzles