General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Fuel Pump Stays running

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 10:13 AM
drivewayguy is on a distinguished road
Default Fuel Pump Stays running

Hello,

I have 96 blazer.

One 2 questions, should the fuel pump stay running for 8 to 12 seconds after car is off?

Its not due to the relay, i have switched them around, could this be a sign of a bad pump?

Old 12-19-2012, 07:56 PM
Banned
chestypuller can only hope to improve

im curios to this question also, mine runs longer then 2 seconds with the key on engine off

Old 12-19-2012, 08:19 PM
Twip will become famous soon enough

i have two 98 blazers and both fuel pumps stay on for a few seconds after i shut them off. i think it has something to do with keeping pressure in the the line so when you go to start it up again the pump doesnt have to run so long to get fuel to the motor. you should be able to turn the key to the on position and hear the pump run for a few seconds and then shut off until you actually start the car.

Old 12-20-2012, 01:02 PM
Banned

i dont know it seems to run for a long while,im thinking the gas gauge isnt really full and it empty and not pumping anything maybe, i just bought this blazer and towed it home.

now is the pump on a timed delay or is it on a pressure sensing switch?

im gonna attach a picture, i cant get under it very will with it on my trailer, anyone know where this hose goes? im thiinking it might be a trans vent hose or tcase hose?

Attached Thumbnails Fuel Pump Stays running-hose.jpg   Fuel Pump Stays running-hose2.jpg   Fuel Pump Stays running-hose3.jpg   Fuel Pump Stays running-hose4.jpg   Fuel Pump Stays running-hose5.jpg  

Last edited by chestypuller; 12-20-2012 at 01:17 PM.
Old 12-23-2012, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by chestypuller
i dont know it seems to run for a long while,im thinking the gas gauge isnt really full and it empty and not pumping anything maybe, i just bought this blazer and towed it home.

im gonna attach a picture, i cant get under it very will with it on my trailer, anyone know where this hose goes? im thiinking it might be a trans vent hose or tcase hose?
without crawling under mine, i cant say for sure where that hose should go, or where it came from.

as far as your fuel pump...if you turn the key on does it just run and run or does it run for a few seconds and then shut off? what it should be doing is running until it builds pressure in the line and then shut off if you havent started the car. once it get the pressure up it shuts off until it sees oil pressure, no oil pressure, no gas pump. mine always run for a little bit after i shut the car off. thats just seems to be the way that they are.

Old 12-24-2012, 01:17 PM
Banned

wonder if its just out of fuel, the gas guage is reading full. i am gonn ahook my pressure guage on it and see, i just got this blazer and dont know condition. the fuel pump just keeps on running, but shuts OFF if i turn the key off after a few seconds. i dont remember it shutting off at all when the key was ON

Old 12-24-2012, 03:51 PM
rockp2 will become famous soon enough

That looks like the vent hose that connects at the very top of the tranny on my NV3500 manual transmission. It is on the front part of the transmission just before the bellhousing. The metal tube is about 2" long parallel (front-to-back) to the transmission. You'd probably only be able to see it with a mirror.

Old 12-24-2012, 07:29 PM

wonder if its just out of fuel, the gas guage is reading full. i am gonn ahook my pressure guage on it and see, i just got this blazer and dont know condition. the fuel pump just keeps on running, but shuts OFF if i turn the key off after a few seconds. i dont remember it shutting off at all when the key was ON
the pump should only run a short time with the key ON engine OFF. if it just keeps on running and running, the tank is probably empty or its not building pressure.

Old 12-24-2012, 09:28 PM
Banned

ya i will have to check the top of the trans (automatic 4l60e i assume) to see if that hose goes there. i bet its got a bad fuel guage and has no fuel. we will see this week i will put the pressure guage on it, then add 2 gal of fuel.

Old 12-26-2012, 03:48 PM
Banned

stange thing today, there was no dash lights and no fuel pump sound...... wonder if theres something electrical, usually u get the check engine before you start it and seatbelt warning light or some other lights just nothing...

Quick Reply: Fuel Pump Stays running