General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Gas Mileage

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 08:42 PM
KIllarb634 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Gas Mileage

Ok, so my gas mileage sucks. I drive 60% of the time in the city and the other 40% on the highway here in NJ. My overhead console read avg 9.6 mpg. I have a 98 blazer lt 4dr 4wd, never drive in 4wd unless necessary. I have BFG All terrains on it but they shouldn't drop my mileage down that far. Car is stock no mods to deal with hp or lifting

Question; How can i improve my MPG?

Thanks
Brian

Old 02-13-2008, 09:38 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Gas Mileage

That's waaay lower than it should be. Have you done a basic tune-up? What does your temperature gauge read whenthe engine'sfully warmed up?

Old 02-13-2008, 09:48 PM
lennyblazer is on a distinguished road

Sounds like a basic tune up is needed. Also what PSI are the tires set to, try to have them around 34-36psi as u should get some better gas mileage that way. spark plugs, wires, distributor cap, fuel filter, check the air filter, etc. for the tune up. Or easy up on the gas, also driving in lots of stop and go traffic and driving only short distances (less than 5-8 miles one way when its cold out will really kill the gas mileage).

Old 02-13-2008, 10:08 PM
KIllarb634 is an unknown quantity at this point

Almost time for tune up, plugs wires dist cap rotor were all changed about 18 months ago, right before i bought the car. I will def change fuel filter don't have any records on that being changed. Tires are inflated at 32 psi. When spring come's i'll be putting a new intake and exhaust on it to free up air flow in and out of the motor.

I only work 10 minutes from my house so its great for me but i guess that kills my gas mileage too. I always warm the car up before driving in the winter.

Car runs approx 205 degrees since i changed the thermostat. It was at 190 but took forever to warm up so i changed to a different thermostat and it warms up quicker and runs at 205 in the city and around 195 on the highway consistently

Thanks

Old 02-13-2008, 11:02 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

Don't let the car warm up as long..idling = 0 mpg.

Buy a block heater instead

Old 02-14-2008, 01:52 AM
Blazer man1998 is an unknown quantity at this point

You should hand calculate the gas milage also just to see if your on board computer is right.

Old 02-14-2008, 04:00 AM
BF Veteran
XBlazer01 has a spectacular aura aboutXBlazer01 has a spectacular aura about

wow. When I was up in jersey I was pulling around 17mpg

Old 02-14-2008, 07:13 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Your commute coupled with winter temps/fuel/warmups is what is killing your mileage. I don't know if I would go replacing a whole bunch of stuff right yet. Maybe pull things apart and see what condition they are in. Look at the terminals on the inside of the distributor cap. The tip on the rotor. Mist some water over the wires with the engine running to see if you are loosing some spark through the insulation. Check your plugs.

How many miles are on the truck?

Oh and please people, lets try to help this person instead of having another "this is what I get for gas mileage" thread.

Old 02-14-2008, 06:24 PM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

Are your BFG's factory size?

Only invest in a block heater if your temps get really really low... My block heater cord has a tag that says "Use below -18*C (0*F)"
Don't know if that means you can't use it in warmer temps or not, but...

The warm up is probably what's killing your mileage the most... How long do you usually let it warm up?

Old 02-14-2008, 08:26 PM
BLK85 is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: WolfPack

Don't let the car warm up as long..idling = 0 mpg.

Buy a block heater instead
I agree, I currently have a short drive(will change Tuesday). I never warm my Blazer up. I just let the idle set back down then get moving although I take it easy. I do about 12-14 in the city with about 40miles on the highway per tank(that will change also).

Quick Reply: Gas Mileage