General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Gas tank gauge

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 09:55 PM
Brian_D will become famous soon enoughBrian_D will become famous soon enough
Default Gas tank gauge

I could not find anything with the search for this topic so
here it goes..

Anyone else have problems with the gas gage not reading right??

is there a way to fix it? my truck goes empty on a quarter tank....

Thanks!

Edit: noticed a spelled gauge wrong the first search..

doh!

Last edited by Brian_D; 02-16-2010 at 10:01 PM.
Old 02-16-2010, 10:48 PM
cbr995 will become famous soon enoughcbr995 will become famous soon enough

Well, I have an issue with mine giving me different readings every time I jump in. I filled to half a tank yesterday, went home, then went to the store, and the gauge said I had only a 1/4 tank left. Went to school today, and it read about half again.

Old 02-16-2010, 11:00 PM
BlazerGuy2001 is on a distinguished road

All i can say is get used to it haha, ( in the nicest way possible). Ive got the same problem with it being about a 1/4 tank off. i talked to a friend of mine who works in fuel systems at gm and he said you could replace the and it might fix it however that requires dropping the tank.

Old 02-16-2010, 11:02 PM
cbr995 will become famous soon enoughcbr995 will become famous soon enough

So the level sensor is separate from the pump? Or at least replaceable without buying a new fuel pump?

Old 02-16-2010, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by cbr995
So the level sensor is separate from the pump? Or at least replaceable without buying a new fuel pump?
That was my understanding from what he said, he made it seem like it would be relatively cheap just sort of labor intensive

Old 02-17-2010, 01:47 AM
bigkhans is on a distinguished road

Easier to cut and make an access panel the way it should have been done from the factory. Myself I have the same problem I have to watch my milage with the trip odometer. But as time is going by with the amount of seafoam and MMO that I run in my tank I have noticed the gauge becoming more accurate.

Old 02-17-2010, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by bigkhans
Easier to cut and make an access panel the way it should have been done from the factory. Myself I have the same problem I have to watch my milage with the trip odometer. But as time is going by with the amount of seafoam and MMO that I run in my tank I have noticed the gauge becoming more accurate.

I've noticed the same thing...a few weeks ago I ran mine low enough to put 16.2 gallons in and it seemed to be calibrated almost perfectly but now it's starting to stray again.

Old 02-17-2010, 10:40 AM
mr.vls will become famous soon enough

Try some Chevron Techron Plus in the tank. It helps my gauge to read more accurate. The larger bottle will cover up to 20 Gallons.

Old 02-17-2010, 11:29 AM
leeclark is an unknown quantity at this point

from my own experience the fuel sending unit and the pump are all one piece. had to replace my pump cause it went out a month and half ago. mine is a 98 model so if its older could be different but i'm thinking its all one piece.

Old 02-17-2010, 12:19 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Try this search:
https://blazerforum.com/forum/search.php?do=process&query="fuel level sending unit"

This has been a well discussed topic in the past. You just have to know how to use our search and the proper terms to find the information.

The fuel level sending unit can be purchased separately from the fuel pump assembly, however, the steps in replacing it include removal of the pump!

One thing you can try at this point is run a few tanks with Chevron Techron Fuel System Treatment PLUS (20 gal treatment) through. This treatment has cleaning agents that can remove the harmful sulfur deposits from the sending unit grid. If this doesn't work, then that means that the sulfur has caused the contacts to wear down, screwing with the fuel level reading. I use the treatment in all of my vehicles at every oil change as a preventative measure.

Quick Reply: Gas tank gauge