General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

gear change question

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 06:33 PM
okiedoak20 will become famous soon enoughokiedoak20 will become famous soon enough
Default gear change question

ok, so im going to change gear ratio to 4.56... i purchaced the gears for the rear, still need to purchace the front gears, and i have a spare front diff....here is the question... 1. should i go and have the rear gears installed now.... 2.wait untill all gears are bought... 3. have the gears in the rear installed and install the spare front diff,then install when i get a chance.. does any of this make scense??

Old 04-26-2013, 06:50 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

wait, bad to have 2 different gear ratios in the front and rear.

Old 04-26-2013, 08:54 PM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

yep. u have to have both installed at same time. no way around it.

Old 04-26-2013, 09:37 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

I would wait...

Old 04-26-2013, 11:39 PM
WitchingHour is an unknown quantity at this point

Concur with the above... you should wait.

Old 04-27-2013, 09:56 AM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

He could install the rears now, and not the fronts. It will be fine as long as the transfer case isn't shifted. In 2wd the front axle is separate from what the rear is doing, so it won't be a problem. As soon as 4wd is engaged, though, it will get quite expensive.

If I was installing them myself, I would do the one now, and the other when I get them, as long as it wasn't going to be a year or something in between the two. That way it gets broken up into two repairs, and the truck isn't down as long at once.

If paying to have it done, just do both at once, so you only have to mess with dropping it off, picking it up, etc. once. Maybe they can even cut you a deal if both are done at once?

Old 04-27-2013, 12:44 PM
okiedoak20 will become famous soon enoughokiedoak20 will become famous soon enough

Cleburne, thats what i was thinking, i also have the extra front diff, and can just drop it off and pick it up the next day, then install on the weekend, the company doing the gears is charging me $350 each, but i have to remove and install the front my self. no biggie and im gettin used to it... But here is the twist.. I have a NP236 transfer case,4 button type,
and from what i learned on Blazer forum is that the front drive shaft turns all the time from the clutchs in the TC, will this effect anything, and can the front drive shaft be removed and still drive the truck?

Old 04-27-2013, 08:46 PM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by okiedoak20
Cleburne, thats what i was thinking, i also have the extra front diff, and can just drop it off and pick it up the next day, then install on the weekend, the company doing the gears is charging me $350 each, but i have to remove and install the front my self. no biggie and im gettin used to it... But here is the twist.. I have a NP236 transfer case,4 button type,
and from what i learned on Blazer forum is that the front drive shaft turns all the time from the clutchs in the TC, will this effect anything, and can the front drive shaft be removed and still drive the truck?
Yeah, that might make a difference. I'm not sure how the 4 button style works. I would think removing the front shaft would do the trick, but that might mess something up, or at least confuse the truck.

If there's no way around the front shaft turning, definitely wait and do both diffs at the same time. Seems like it would burn up the clutches pretty quick. But, I've already told you more than I know about it!!!

Old 04-30-2013, 08:09 PM

Cleburne, thanks for the info, currently the gear swap is on a holding pattern, i need to find a part time job to create enough money to get the front gears and install cost.
Its a wife thing,dont ask, she had a slight bit*h fit when i let her know of the costs involved, so yea, i get to have a second job Woohoo, lucky me, safb

Old 04-30-2013, 09:53 PM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by okiedoak20
Cleburne, thanks for the info, currently the gear swap is on a holding pattern, i need to find a part time job to create enough money to get the front gears and install cost.
Its a wife thing,dont ask, she had a slight bit*h fit when i let her know of the costs involved, so yea, i get to have a second job Woohoo, lucky me, safb
I feel your pain! My wife insists on spending all our money on frivolous things like "paying bills" and "buying food".

Quick Reply: gear change question