General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Get a lift....Fat chicks can't jump! (huge post)

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 02:18 AM
navyblue_sk8er is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Get a lift....Fat chicks can't jump! (huge post)

The headaches I’ve had.. Installed a 2” Rough Country suspension lift, and a PA 2” body lift. Started with the shackles. The bolts were stuck in the steel sleeves in the bushings. So that was a big pain to get out. Michael "MacGyver" (My step-dad) was able to come up with a C-clamp and cheater bar set-up to get those out. But now the bushings are bad so I had to buy all new leaf spring and shackle bushings. Oh and had to drop the fuel tank to make room for the crazy c-clamp set-up. From there I did the body lift which was easy but time consuming. Lots of things to disconnect and stuff. But the actual install of the lift was easy. Not the best pictures to go off by in the instructions. Had trouble figuring out the front bumper bracket and how to drill the stock bracket to make it work with the new bracket. The front suspension wasn’t to bad. Upper A arms came off pretty easy. Ended up buying new upper ball joints. Pain in the *** to drill out the rivets on the stock ones and ended up messing up the boots with the puller tool. Had to weld the shock relocation brackets on. Never welded myself before. Watched it done but never done it. Got a welder from my step-uncle. And the weld actually went better than I had originally thought. The torsion key change was a pain. Ended up using a steering wheel puller and c-clamps to get the stock ones off but the new keys put to much torsion on the bars and couldn’t use the same set-up to install the new ones. Broke a c-clamp and bent two others. Not fun breaking a c-clamp under all the stress the torsion bar is putting. So to buy the actual torsion bar loading tool it would be $140 from carquest which is the only place that had them around here. So Michael "MacGyver" again said screw that, I’ll make one. He works at a Machinist shop so he can go to work and just about make anything he wants. So for $12 he made me a tool. So that kicked butt and it worked awesome. Now I’m just waiting on the bushings I ordered and get my tie rod ends bent. Got the Tie rod ends bent at a local welding shop. I ordered the new leaf spring and shackle bushings like the first week of Dec. Well it was finally like First week in March that I decided that I still didn’t receive them and this is stupid. So I ended up going back to the shop I ordered them from and got my money back. I ordered a add a leaf for the rear end since is was saggin’ lower than the front. The kit says that they include 1” lift shackles to help with the rear end rake the blazers have, which I have never seen. So now my rear end was an inch lower then the front. Got the add a leaf and installed it. Took maybe 1.5 hrs. C-clamps help a lot with that install. So now the truck is perfectly level. And the add a leaf helped make the rear stiffer to help even it with the stiffer front end. So now I had to get it aligned. I went to Big O tires since they were closet to me. Took it and dropped it off and they called me back saying that they couldn’t align it because the pitman arm, idler arm, and left axle was bad. So I’m thinking "How in the heck do they come to a conclusion that my left axle is bad"? So I go to back to the shop and ask them how they came to that conclusion. They said because there is lube all over in that area. But if you look at the right side it looks the same. So I ask them for my keys back and they are like "You’re going to fix it?" And I’m like "Yeah, I’m the one who installed the lift and all too" So I take it home and jack it up and both pitman arm and idler were bad. But left axle...perfectly fine. So that pissed me off. Trying to tell me my left axle is bad....retards. So the retarded thing about my pitman arm is that I have to pull the whole freakin’ steering box out to change the arm. I have a lower crossmeber in the way of getting the nut off (which is torque 180in pounds). Got the steering box out. Was lucky because the body lift gave me enough room to get to the lines I had to take off thro

Old 03-18-2008, 03:37 AM
Taymacjack is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Get a lift....Fat chicks can't jump! (huge post)

wow man thats a big difference! Looks sick! I'm having the same problem trying to get my front end aligned as well. They told me my ball joints were bad, but we inspected them and found nothing wrong. Why do they always do this? Anyways, I was wondering, did you have to do any welding when you put in the 2" lift? And also, do you think it would be possible to use 3" blocks in the place of the 2" blocks without much difficulty? Again man, looks awesome.

edit: oh and before the mods tell you, you might wanna split this up into paragraphs so that its easier to read. the great wall of text is intimidating...

Old 03-18-2008, 05:35 AM
Blazer Forum 2009 Ride of the Year Winner
nj4x4blaze has a spectacular aura aboutnj4x4blaze has a spectacular aura about

The truck looks great. Nice job.

Old 03-18-2008, 07:15 AM
BF Veteran
thegr81 is on a distinguished road

So like you promised now that you have your lift on and new tires ( which the truck looks awesome) When we getting together to take some pics of both ours together???

Old 03-18-2008, 09:23 AM
cliro is an unknown quantity at this point

looks good.

Old 03-18-2008, 12:40 PM
a_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud of

could've waited a month or so. Rough country just redesigned that 2" lift with re-angled upper control arms.Kit now comes with new ball joints and no need for a shock relocation bracket. The kit is now completely bolt on... no welding, drilling, etc... Truck does look awesome though!

Old 03-18-2008, 01:53 PM
94blueknight is on a distinguished road

wow wow wow lotta troubles in there! glad its all done and wow it looks great! maybe some nerf bars to hide the frame a lil if u want.

Old 03-18-2008, 05:13 PM
Dturner14 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey man that look really really good. Can't wait to do mine in about a month or two. Should and sounds like fun, LOL

Old 03-18-2008, 05:27 PM
Millertime21 is an unknown quantity at this point

I like it... Looks good!!!

Old 03-18-2008, 05:50 PM
navyblue_sk8er is an unknown quantity at this point

Taymacjack- I think they just hope you don't know and try to get money off you. Umm. when I did my kit there was welding involved for the front shock relocaton brakets. But now as a_tack said "Rough country just redesigned that 2" lift with re-angled upper control arms.Kit now comes with new ball joints and no need for a shock relocation bracket. The kit is now completely bolt on... no welding, drilling, etc...". I think you may run into a problem with makeing the fuel servicing line work with 3" blocks. But you can just go and get your own sized hose somewhere.

thegr81- Yeah I'm down for pics whenever. Just pm me sometime to figure it all out

94blueknight- Nerf bars would definantly help that but I'm not sure I'm to into them. Plus I'm 6'2" and don't really need them.

Quick Reply: Get a lift....Fat chicks can't jump! (huge post)