General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Happy Truck?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 11:54 AM
Starting Member
matthewp is on a distinguished road
Default Happy Truck?

My truck for as long as I have had it, which is about 7 months now, has always driven a certain way. It drives almost like its old and a little sick if you can put it into human terms. It has about 153,000 miles on it which would explain why it drives old truck. I keep up the maintenance on it and shows for couple months at best. It has always had very slight delay engine resposiveness and a slightly hard shift when its cold (not unusually hard or out place shift that would indicate a failing transmission). When it is warmed up it would shift smooth and respond without delay.

I had to make 2 hour uninterrupted drive yesterday. This morning when I had to go to work, it drove with no delay in engine response and it even was shifting smooth as if was already warmed up. Even on the way back home, giving it enough time to cool down, it was the same story. I'm wondering if maybe that long drive helped clean out the cob webs or something along those lines; whatever it may it may be all I know is, is that it is a happy truck.

Has this ever happened to anyone where maybe your daily commute is short 15 to 30 minute drive and after a long drive, like a 1 to 2 hour drive, the truck seems to be a little better th next day?

Old 08-23-2012, 10:21 PM
Starting Member
megaroos_00 is an unknown quantity at this point

When I make the trip to the other side of the state, my blazer always seems to be happy to do it. I only commute about 5 mins to work one way. (Best commute I've ever had!) And of course, she always seems to perk up once I've given her a bath.

But, like yours, mine has 148k & seems to be slowing down. Had to replace front shocks, wheel bearings and soon the hubs. So, she was like an elderly person bout to go in for joint replacement.

Old 08-23-2012, 10:43 PM
BF Veteran
Rottidog has a spectacular aura aboutRottidog has a spectacular aura about

Sounds like the highway haul burned the carbon out of the cylinders, heads etc... AKA An Italian Tune-up!
High revs for longer periods of time are good for engines. They were meant to have rpms hit max & long hauls like that help clean them out.
I've heard many people talk about a 'well taken care of blazer from an older couple that was babied & that it had no *****'.
They are easy on the engine, which IS good, don't get me wrong but they need to burn chit off.
Once a month if I haven't made any long journey I get on the highway, start up slow then hammer it when traffic isn't around & get up to highway speed. Let off the gas & coast back down, possibly compression braking a bit & then do it again a few times.
Look out the rear window/side view & watch the exhaust, it may be black all of a sudden.
As you mentioned
if you can put it into human terms
- we all feel better after a good fart!

Well, except for those around us.

Last edited by Rottidog; 08-23-2012 at 10:49 PM.
Old 08-26-2012, 07:36 PM
May One is on a distinguished road

Megaroo I also have a 5 minute commute one way and after a week or two it seems slower than usual with the response. So I just try and make it to one of my parent's houses for the weekend and give it an Italian tune up,lol. Oh its got 210,xxx and still kickin'