General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Here is the story on my Blazer

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2009, 06:44 PM
Beginning Member
Vince's04blazer is on a distinguished road
Default Here is the story on my Blazer

First off I'm new at this... So I have a 2004 Chevy Blazer 2dr 4x4. It has the stock 4.3L with 99,600 miles. I purchased it last year with 92,000 miles on it for $8500. When I bought the car I had the cv boot replaced from the dealership. After a month of having my first car the problems came flowing in. First I got a 100,000 mile tune up on it from my local chevy dealership(i know it only had 92,000 miles on it but it needed a tune up)... Then I went through a car wash and my driver side door was leaking through the top. So they changed the pins in the door. So next went the rear brakes... got those replaced. Now I need new front brakes. Just the other day I replaced the air filter that was black... even though the tune up that I got from my local chevy dealership said that I would get a new air filter. I also got new tires, mud flaps, pin stripes, bug guard, and spare tire cover. Now I love this truck because its my very first car... but now I'm thinking about slapping a for sale sign in it because of my gas mileage. 12 mpg city and 17 highway. Just yesterday I took a trip that was 266 miles round trip and only got 17.7 mpg on the interstate. How is this possible. One of my relatives has a 2000 trailblazer that has 80,000 miles on it and that get like 25 on the highway. WHAT IS GOING ON IN MY ENGINE? Any suggestions to boost my mpg? Now I don't know much about my truck under the hood because i'm only 17 but i'm sure i can do some simple things. Do you think the chevy dealership messed something up while doing the tune up?

Old 08-22-2009, 06:51 PM
BF Veteran
CraigSnedeker will become famous soon enoughCraigSnedeker will become famous soon enough

Wow nice truck (big sig though). love those pin stripes =D

Dunno what to tell you agbout the mpg

Old 08-22-2009, 07:02 PM
papacope is an unknown quantity at this point

my 1997 jimmy got about 17 or 18 on the interstater on average.

Old 08-22-2009, 07:26 PM
Beginning Member

Yeah. Love the pin stripes :-) only cost me $30 for installation and the stripe itself. I would have done them myself but I didn't trust myself with it ha ha.

Old 08-22-2009, 07:44 PM
NVANZEE will become famous soon enough

change the fuel fliter, spark plugs and wires. other than that it doesnt get much better. i get about 10 city with 14 highway

Old 08-22-2009, 07:50 PM
Beginning Member

The fuel filter, spark plugs and wires were changed on the tune up

Old 08-22-2009, 09:37 PM
BF Veteran
wlorton has a spectacular aura aboutwlorton has a spectacular aura about

Nice Truck...

Old 08-22-2009, 11:17 PM
RangerG will become famous soon enoughRangerG will become famous soon enough

Very nice truck!! You scored pretty good for the price on that thing.

Old 08-23-2009, 01:49 AM
BF Veteran
wlorton has a spectacular aura aboutwlorton has a spectacular aura about

mpg... How fast are you driving? I know that driving about 60ish give or take 2-3mph in a 55mph zone through two lane country roads I can scrape up around 23 mpg... I have noticed more interstate driving around the posted 65ish give or take 2-3mph gets me about 18.7.... I am very **** and log all my mpg for every tank of gas... Going about 50%city and 50%highway I got about 17.7 mpg.... plus I was going up a big ole grade every other day for the week.... running about 3k to go 50 up it... But make sure you arent being a dip-sh*t and peeling it out at every stop sign and running it hard and braking at the last second... stuff like that is easily wasting the energy and you dont want that... I would also recommend using better fuel.... the 89 octane around here tends to get some ethanol pissed into it and can cause your mileage to drop because ethanol itself has a different octane rating and will lead to different performance than was originally intended by the manufacturer.... I would also recommend that you fill the tank completely... and then do extensive driving before filling and checking the mileage... it could just be a bad day or two... do you sit in traffic anywhere? Also consider the tires on it and what rear end you are running.... and do you tend to play around in your blazer???? Just trying to hit a bunch of angles... Hopefully you get her figured out and get into the 20's while cruising.... I would really like to know the difference in mileage between 1600 at 55mph and 1900 at 60 mph... roughly speaking....

Old 08-23-2009, 08:39 AM
Beginning Member

No I don't really sit in traffic. I only drive in my county. There are some hills around here where I live but that doesn't to affect it that much. And the tires... when I got them a couple months ago the guy at my local tire store told me that the new tires were the most common tires on Blazers (goodyear wrangler radials). I don't really hit the gas that hard at a stop sign. If I'm on the highway and I'm pulling out i usually hit 2500 rpm. I try to stay away from anything higher than 2500 rpm.

Quick Reply: Here is the story on my Blazer