General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

HID's installed!!! (pics added!)

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 07:09 PM
davtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant future
Default HID's installed!!! (pics added!)

Yup, I installed them today with no problems at all. Well, I did have one. I mounted the ballasts the same place that Brent did and the cables wouldn't reach the bulb[&o], so I had to find another place. That took me about a half hour. Finally I found a spot behind the front grille. They are noticable a little from the front of the truck, but I am going to be getting grille inserts (probably some kind of flame design), so you won't be able to see them much, plus they are getting a constant flow of cool air as I am driving. They look pretty nasty to me, I have a few pics. I will take more tonight when it gets dark and post them up.

Old 05-05-2008, 07:13 PM
BF Veteran
mdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant future
Default RE: HID's installed!!!

Only problem I would have with mounting the ballasts there is the chance of them getting wet. Unless you paid top-dollar for them, I wouldnt be too trusting of the waterproof-ness that some sellers claim...

I guess it kind of depends on where exactly they are mounted but if its raining hard or you spray down the front of your truck they might get wet. Grill inserts would probably help out some.

Old 05-05-2008, 07:21 PM
Tippman7641 is an unknown quantity at this point

are, and it rains every other day here, and never had a problem lol

Old 05-05-2008, 07:48 PM
davtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant future

I was thinking about installing them on the other side of the radiator support, but they need air flow. I figured no matter where I put them, they are going to get wet somehow (car wash, rain, etc.) I had a neon tube there before, so that got wet with no problem, so i will see what happens. If they go ka-put, then I will get new ones and mount then somewhere else. I am going to look around to see if I can find a better spot so they are out of sight. For now, they are okay. I got a pretty good sun burn today, so it will have to wait until thursday so I don't fry myself like I did one time. My skin was turning purple when I took a cold shower one time. That was a little scary.

Old 05-05-2008, 09:37 PM
BF Veteran
EuroGoldLS is on a distinguished road

Wow. I had excess wire. Like 2 feet of excess.
Can't wait to see them!

Old 05-06-2008, 10:21 AM

I have actually moved the ballasts from the spot I had them in to behind the bumper lights. Didn't realize at first how much room I actually had back there. It looks better, I must say. I will upload the pics to photobucket off my cell card and brb with them! I will have to get a night pic as last night I would've had to move my parents cars out of the way to get mine out for just a picture and I was tired form being outside all day long. I will get a night pic as soon as I have to drive at night

Old 05-06-2008, 10:56 AM

Pic Bump!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This is where I had installed the ballasts and what it looked like-

This is what it looks like now that I have moved the ballasts (a lot better I say)-

This is where the ballasts are-

Here is at least some sort of night pic sittin in my driveway-

If you notice too, I took off the lights on my safari bar for now. I am going to paint the chrome grilles black, and also rewire them through the grommet in the floor on the passenger side so they look clean. I am throwing those fog lights out as they are fubar'd. I took them off and the only thing that is the right color is the lense. The bracket and everything else is rusted like crazy!!! I will get some new ones for when I install them. I am not going to put lights on the roof rack as I might need the roof rack in the future and don't feel I need them there. I am however going to add some neons underneath and paint the frame rails black. I have one switch for the pilot lights on the safari bar, one switch for the driving lights I ma going to put underneath the roof rack, and one switch for the neons I will put on on a later date. I am thinking of using the last switch as an amp kill switch for when I do a system. I have plans to build my own box with a floating amp rack (saw it done on tv and it looks cool).

Oh, and if you notice in the first pic, my battery is gone. I took it out because I noticed it was sitting wierd in the battery tray. I took it out and found a black and decker socket set and a steak knife under the battery (nice!). I put the battery back in the tray the right way and bolted it down like it should be.

Old 05-06-2008, 05:44 PM
djdrew010 is an unknown quantity at this point

hey free tools are always nice and that looks great! How long did it take you to do the whole thing? and where did you get your lights/head lights?

Old 05-06-2008, 06:31 PM

The black and decker socket set was too rusted, I just threw it out since I have the same set myself. And the steak knife I threw out also. Turned out that we have the same steak knives in the house, so I dropped it in there at some point. I don't know when, but I wonder. Anyway, the projectors and the HID's are both from ebay. The projectors were about 160 shipped and the HID's were if I remember right about 70 70 shipped.

Old 05-06-2008, 07:22 PM
Tippman7641 is an unknown quantity at this point

thats where i put my balasts are never had a water problem

Quick Reply: HID's installed!!! (pics added!)