General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

homeade skid plate design?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2010, 02:53 PM
Starting Member
FOGEL is on a distinguished road
Default homeade skid plate design?

i was wondering if anyone has a design for a skid plate for 98 S10 LS blazer 4 door 4wd? i have access to a 1/2" sheet of acrylic and i wanna make a skid plate out of it and paint it but i cant find a good design. once i find a good design im gunna make one out of diamond plated aluminum to go over the acrylic for looks/a little extra strength. if anyone has a design post em im pretty sure others would be interested in making them also. if it matters i also don't have the valance on my bumper so i can get better access.

Old 12-25-2010, 03:59 PM
Steinbruchsoldat is on a distinguished road

Why create your own? The stock aluminium ones are pretty good. I see no need for others...

Old 12-25-2010, 04:34 PM
POWERSTROKEN is on a distinguished road

I have made a couple myself for a couple Tracker's I've had. I made mine out of some UHMW. It was very durable, tough and could be used by itself if you get it the appropriate thickness. I can be gotten in a couple different colors too. Hope this helps. Jim

Old 12-25-2010, 05:16 PM
Starting Member
FOGEL is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Steinbruchsoldat
Why create your own? The stock aluminium ones are pretty good. I see no need for others...
the 98 blazers comes with sh*tty 1/4" flimsy plastic ones

Old 12-25-2010, 06:41 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by FOGEL
Actually, they are made out of carbon fiber.

Old 12-25-2010, 07:00 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by FOGEL
Originally Posted by AJBert
Actually, they are made out of carbon fiber.
actually.......you're both wrong......kinda-sorta.

@ FOGAL: my '98 LT came with the full 3 plate aluminum set from the factory. it was simply an option that went with a particular option package (not 110% sure it was the Z85 option or not).

@ AJBert: again, i'm not 110%, but i'm (almost) positive only the ZR's came with the CF one in '98.

@FOGAL again: didn't you post up your desire to make a skid plate out of plexi/acryilic just the other day (in another post)? i had mentioned in that conversation how well that design would stand up.

kinda off topic..............but i think i should be pulling the 3 piece aluminum plates off of all the trucks i see @ the wrecking yards i frequent. then i can throw them up here to sell to you guys.

kinda like the ZR2 Sonoma that i was serious thinking about grabing the factory flares from.

anyways..........guess i've always been lucky in the fact that all of my 4WD trucks have come with the full factory aluminum skid plate package.

Old 12-25-2010, 07:38 PM
BF Veteran
Rottidog has a spectacular aura aboutRottidog has a spectacular aura about

Yeah you are lucky, my '02 LS has the plastic one under the valence with the access door for the oil filter & thats it.
I'll stop procastonating tomorrow & make some from maybe aluminum checkerplate or SS eventually. Take the plastic one off, bribe the draftsman at work & get him to shoot the laser programmer the blueprint he'll make. Then off to the brake, have them bend it, get the hardware for the door & off to powdercoating it goes.

EVENTUALLY lol

Hmmm just thinking about the aluminum checkerplate... kinda takes away from the "skid" plate aspect of it & aluminum isn't strong at all in that application. AR (abrasion resistant) material steel plate or SS it is! Unless I can get ahold of some high carbon steel like they use for bumpers.

Old 12-25-2010, 07:51 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Rottidog
Yeah you are lucky..............

Hmmm just thinking about the aluminum checkerplate... kinda takes away from the "skid" plate aspect of it & aluminum isn't strong at all in that application. AR (abrasion resistant) material steel plate or SS it is! Unless I can get ahold of some high carbon steel like they use for bumpers.
i guess so Tom.

now that would make for a stump killer of a plate!

Old 12-25-2010, 07:54 PM
BF Veteran
Rottidog has a spectacular aura aboutRottidog has a spectacular aura about

Oh yeah, big time solid & powdercoated ta boot.

Old 12-25-2010, 08:52 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

You mean there are folks out there running around with plastic skids?!? I thought all along they were either carbon fiber or aluminum.

Guess even an old guy like me learns something new every day.

Quick Reply: homeade skid plate design?