General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

How to disable DRL?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 03:59 AM
BLK85 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How to disable DRL?

I was wondering how you go about diableing this? There is a very good chance I will be getting some HIDs and I dont want my lights to be on all the time when I have HIDs. But I also read somewhere that the DRL are just high beams. Is that true? If so it doesnt matter then since the HIDs will only be low beams.

Old 07-05-2007, 11:46 AM
lennyblazer is on a distinguished road
Default RE: How to disable DRL?

The DRL's on you truck should just be a decreased voltage/current to the high beam bulbs. So only the high beam bulbs light up but at like half power (bulbs closest to the grille). So it should not matter about the DRL's however if you dont want the HID's to turn on automatically then you would want to get rid of the automatic headlights function, and I am not sure how to do that but you can ask drperry, since he did it to his.

-Lenny

Old 07-05-2007, 11:49 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Or you could search...

Old 07-05-2007, 04:12 PM
RCars2 is an unknown quantity at this point

^^^^ What he said. I think i posted a reply to another question like this once before. If you press the dome override button 4 times it will ding your door chime once and from there your lights go to manual control and the daytime runners turn off. Only works on 99 and newer blazers (every one 98 and older doesnt seem to work in my experience).

Old 07-05-2007, 06:31 PM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

And you'll have to do that dome override thing EVERY time you get in your Blazer...

Also, you'll want to leave the DRL's on, and make it so your low beams stay on with your highbeams...

HID's HATE being turned on and off rapidly.

Old 07-05-2007, 06:44 PM
RCars2 is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: drperry

And you'll have to do that dome override thing EVERY time you get in your Blazer...
Weird, Dale stayed with them deactivated everytime i started him.

Old 07-05-2007, 06:51 PM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

ORIGINAL: RCars2

Weird, Dale stayed with them deactivated everytime i started him.
That's weird... I usually hear of them coming back on the next time... Also, for any Canadians who might read the thread, the dome override only works on the US sold vehicles, lol.

If your low beams are your DRL's then there's no real problem, as HID's run cooler than halogens... but to disable DRL's you bend or cut pin 86 on the DRL relay in the underhood fuse box...

I can't remember for sure, but if you search the forum, someone's posted how to get the high and lows on at the same time, by grounding the yellow wire from the high beams, I think, to the radiator core support...

Old 07-05-2007, 10:57 PM

That's weird... I usually hear of them coming back on the next time... Also, for any Canadians who might read the thread, the dome override only works on the US sold vehicles, lol.

If your low beams are your DRL's then there's no real problem, as HID's run cooler than halogens... but to disable DRL's you bend or cut pin 86 on the DRL relay in the underhood fuse box...

I can't remember for sure, but if you search the forum, someone's posted how to get the high and lows on at the same time, by grounding the yellow wire from the high beams, I think, to the radiator core support...
To turn of the DRL's: I know on my dad's '02 Suburban that they stay off every time till you turn them back on and that you push the button 5 times.

To get High and Low on at same time: you can buy a kit from painless wiring that has another relay, and all the wiring and splicing and directions you need to do it, unfortunately it isnt super cheap but in my mind it was worth it (driving through the UP at night all the time = deer and other animals). I think I bought mine through summitracing.com Never heard of grounding the grounding of the yellow wire from the high beams to the radiator core support.

Edit: Oh and it doesnot work on my 1998 Blazer to push the dome override button 4 or 5 times

-Lenny

Old 07-06-2007, 04:39 AM
BF Veteran

Well, I know the grounding of the yellow wire works, as I did it to mine, and that's when I found out the DRL's came back on, so I un-did the mod...

I tried hooking a relay for my high/low beams to come on... Still got those instructions kicking around? Or can I get 'em from the site?

Old 07-06-2007, 10:54 AM

I got them back home, I'll see if the website had them online or not. I am up at school now ~4 hours away and not sure when I am going home.

Here is a LINK to the manufacturers instruction sheet

-Lenny

Quick Reply: How to disable DRL?