General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

How does the over head console with temp/gas gauges work

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 09:25 PM
Beginning Member
argon929 is on a distinguished road
Default How does the over head console with temp/gas gauges work

I searched and i didnt find anything but i am curious as to how the over head console works for the average mpg and the mileage left to the tank. Does the mileage to the tank go off of what the average mpg's are? i am getting 11-12 mpg all city and it says 179-180 mile per tank? and is 11-12 mpg's good for a 99 4d 4x4 fresh tune up k&n filter all stock i dont really get on it at all? any info would be appreciated plz and thanks for any help and also how accurate is the temp gauge?

Old 02-14-2010, 09:57 AM
Sturg is on a distinguished road

From what I read some people are getting up to 20-24 MPG babying it. I'm not sure what I get I have the gas guage problem but I think it's somewhere around 15-16 bone stock.

Old 02-14-2010, 12:09 PM
96Blazernut is an unknown quantity at this point

The Overhead Console takes its readings from the Engine Control Module. I'm looking to upgrade mine from the Temp/Direction to the Deluxe version.

Old 02-14-2010, 01:30 PM
Sturg is on a distinguished road

Not trying to hijack the thread but do you know if the overhead will display gas mileage, range, etc. correctly if your gas guage doesn't work? I have that infamous problem with my blazer and using the trip odometer ticks me off haha

Old 02-14-2010, 01:37 PM
Ryanmatt135 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by 96Blazernut
The Overhead Console takes its readings from the Engine Control Module. I'm looking to upgrade mine from the Temp/Direction to the Deluxe version.
can you do that easily? i would love to do that but i didnt think it would be possible without changing out the pcm

Old 02-14-2010, 02:02 PM
PaulO2288 is on a distinguished road

Ok, Im not trying to sound retarded of anything but my 2 blazers a 99 and 2000 both LS's both only show the temp and compass. How does yours show your gas mileage?

Old 02-14-2010, 02:32 PM
NVANZEE will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by argon929
I searched and i didnt find anything but i am curious as to how the over head console works for the average mpg and the mileage left to the tank. Does the mileage to the tank go off of what the average mpg's are? i am getting 11-12 mpg all city and it says 179-180 mile per tank? and is 11-12 mpg's good for a 99 4d 4x4 fresh tune up k&n filter all stock i dont really get on it at all? any info would be appreciated plz and thanks for any help and also how accurate is the temp gauge?
That was right around what my 99 2dr was getting before I lifted it.

Originally Posted by Ryanmatt135
can you do that easily? i would love to do that but i didnt think it would be possible without changing out the pcm
You dont need a new pcm. All you have to do is run the wiring to the correct spots and it will work. I will write a how-to come spring since I just put one in mine.

Originally Posted by PaulO2288
Ok, Im not trying to sound retarded of anything but my 2 blazers a 99 and 2000 both LS's both only show the temp and compass. How does yours show your gas mileage?
There were two different versions. The kind you have with temp and compass and some had the other kind which have temp, compass, mpg, miles till tank is empty, and i think something else.

Old 02-15-2010, 02:55 PM
Beginning Member
argon929 is on a distinguished road

ok thank for the help and also would a dirty EGR valve cause bad gas milage? if so i no there is a post on the site that shows and tell how to clean could some oe post the link for me

Old 02-15-2010, 03:34 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Check out the Tech Article (DIY) Index linked to from my signature.

Old 02-15-2010, 05:02 PM
BF Veteran
Benedict1337 will become famous soon enough

I usually get 14-16 mpg on the highway and 10-13 mpg just cruising around. I get get over 200 miles in mine... that doesn't seem that good. because before I put my bigger tires on I was getting almost 18 mpg

Quick Reply: How does the over head console with temp/gas gauges work