General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

How long can a 4.3L last with NO OIL in it?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 06:43 PM
ComputerNerdBD is on a distinguished road
Default How long can a 4.3L last with NO OIL in it?

Jiffy Lube Breaks My Engine - YouTube

Cash for Clunkers- 2001 Chevy Blazer, waste of great vehicle! - YouTube

The title is self explanatory, but when I saw these videos, I thought "How the hell did it last that long?" Wouldn't it just seize up?

The Jiffy Lube one is the reason why I don't trust express oil change places. Especially since I have had my share of problems with them (luckily nothing serious), but when I did still go to them, I monitored them and checked the dipstick BEFORE I left. They also would forget to grease the front end like I asked. I have been doing my own oil changes for over a year now with no problems and I even save money. I even can use Mobil1 HM with a good Napa Gold filter for the same price as a shop doing an oil change with conventional oil with a FRAM filter, meaning my engine will last longer. I even got a deal on a Royal Purple oil change with a RP filter for $40 and that is still saving money since those express oil change places price gouge even when I don't fall for their other services they try to sell me. Once when I had the coolant changed, the manager refused to put green in it AFTER the technician agreed to put green in it and STARTED DRAINING IT. 8 months later, I had a radiator full of sludge. 2 years later and 2 flushes with green left and there is no sludge.

With this video, the fact that they tried to destroy the evidence by draining the oil with the metal shavings and antifreeze in it says something.

The Cash for Clunkers one: Not sure why anyone would want to junk a 2001 Trailblazer that was probably worth more than $4500. I know my 1998 was worth more than that at the time and I think it still might be with the condition it is in.

Last edited by ComputerNerdBD; 08-15-2011 at 06:53 PM.
Old 08-15-2011, 06:58 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

One question what are you trying to prove ? how fast you can blow the motor ?

and 2nd is you know the idiots doing an oil change on your truck you dont watch him do it ? like really when someone i dont know touches any of our trucks i make sure to watch them.

and also when i got my oil change the idiot thought he was smart and put my old filter back. I ended up almost cracking the old filter over his head. Lucky i saw him and nothing worse happened

Last edited by xgiovannix12; 08-15-2011 at 07:25 PM.
Old 08-15-2011, 07:05 PM

No, I am just curious what makes the 4.3L so special that it seems to take alot more before something happens? Like why was it still running when Jiffy Lube didn't put oil in it and he managed to keep driving it back there?

Of course I watch him do it. I was still in high school at the time and I wasn't allowed to do my own oil changes and was told to take it to Valvoline or the other local oil place, so I had no choice. I DID watch them. Now that I am in college and have my own apartment, I do it myself no matter what.

That is really dumb. Good thing you did catch that.

Old 08-15-2011, 07:07 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by ComputerNerdBD
No, I am just curious what makes the 4.3L so special that it seems to take alot more before something happens? Like why was it still running when Jiffy Lube didn't put oil in it and he managed to keep driving it back there?

Of course I watch him do it. I was still in high school at the time and I wasn't allowed to do my own oil changes and was told to take it to Valvoline or the other local oil place, so I had no choice. I DID watch them. Now that I am in college and have my own apartment, I do it myself no matter what.

That is really dumb. Good thing you did catch that.

you watched him do the oil change but u didnt see him not put oil in your motor ?

Old 08-15-2011, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by xgiovannix12
you watched him do the oil change but u didnt see him not put oil in your motor ?
Of course I did. I watched the whole process, but before I drove away, I checked the dipstick to make sure it wasn't low so if it was, I was still there so they couldn't accuse me of anything or say it leaked out.

Old 08-15-2011, 07:14 PM
BF Guru

Ok lets get this straight If you checked it how did the motor did not have oil when you got stuck?

Last edited by xgiovannix12; 08-15-2011 at 07:24 PM.
Old 08-15-2011, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by xgiovannix12
Ok lets get this straight If you checked it how did the motor did not have oil when you got stuck?
Um, that video is not mine. That isn't me. I was just curious about these engines when I saw these videos. Plus, if I live in Upstate NY and drive a silver 4x4 4-door Jimmy, why would I be in a video driving a red 2 door, 2WD Blazer with Texas plates?

Plus I haven't been at any JiffyLube in my life. Only Valvoline a couple times and another small local chain in the Mid-Hudson Valley.

Old 08-15-2011, 07:57 PM
BF Guru

Ohhh i thought that was your blazer too ok then it was a misunderstanding moment

and yea also i would never go back to that guy. the problem was it was winter and i didn't do an oil change so i couldn't do it in the driveway so i ended up paying that idiot to do it.

Honestly the guy didnt look right to me when he started working on it. My mom was with me at the time and she said he looked stoned. I was gonna give him a stoned oil filter after that ....

Old 08-15-2011, 08:00 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

you have to figure when you go to those places its usually where inspiring mechanics first start off, its usually 16 year old kids making minimum wage. weve had a few cars come into our shop fixing jiffy lubes screw ups.

the best is we had a new HHR where they tried to change the oil filter. if anyone ever changed a eco-tech engine oil filter before its on the front of the engine on top its a cartridge type deal. anyways they somehow managed to get a socket wrench on it with a extension twisted it and hit the metal fuel line and the positive terminal on the battery and the line blew and caught the engine on fire. the guy said that the oil change place (forgot exactly which one it was) wont take responsibility for it, saying it wasnt their fault

i really dont know how on earth you can deny on something that obvious. if it was a old beater maybe not a 1 year old truck

Old 08-15-2011, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by abig84
you have to figure when you go to those places its usually where inspiring mechanics first start off, its usually 16 year old kids making minimum wage. weve had a few cars come into our shop fixing jiffy lubes screw ups.

the best is we had a new HHR where they tried to change the oil filter. if anyone ever changed a eco-tech engine oil filter before its on the front of the engine on top its a cartridge type deal. anyways they somehow managed to get a socket wrench on it with a extension twisted it and hit the metal fuel line and the positive terminal on the battery and the line blew and caught the engine on fire. the guy said that the oil change place (forgot exactly which one it was) wont take responsibility for it, saying it wasnt their fault

i really dont know how on earth you can deny on something that obvious. if it was a old beater maybe not a 1 year old truck
Well true, but there is a big difference between sober, well trained, careful people doing the work and people with no training and rushing to get it done and being careless in the process and possibly have a problem with substances. I would not mind having anyone doing it for minimum wage if I knew for a fact beyond a shadow of doubt that it was going to get done right. I have some friends who are going to school for automotive. I would trust them to do an oil change on this thing if they offered to do it in their spare time. I would even pay alot if they did a great job.

NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR THE DAMAGE?!?!?! Even if it was on an old beater, there is NO EXCUSE for such carelessness and irresponsibility and they should be held responsible for any damage done and extra for any inconvenience and other related costs. Like if they did any damage beyond a certain point when doing an oil change on my car, I would have called a lawyer then and there.

Quick Reply: How long can a 4.3L last with NO OIL in it?