Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   General Chat (https://blazerforum.com/forum/general-chat-34/)
-   -   hOW TO TURN OFF THE SERVICE LIGHT? (https://blazerforum.com/forum/general-chat-34/how-turn-off-service-light-41932/)

*xtreme2002* 03-09-2010 03:00 PM

hOW TO TURN OFF THE SERVICE LIGHT?

Is there anyway around going into a shop to turn off the "Service engine soon" light? I changed all fluids and filters and its just bugging me like no other. Please help me out!?!

Thank,
Cole

swartlkk 03-09-2010 03:38 PM

Considering that the service engine soon light is not a reminder for regularly scheduled service... There is a problem that your PCM has recorded and the SES light is letting you know that there is a code stored. You can go to a number of different autoparts stores and have the codes read. Once you have the code, let us know and we'll help you figure out what the root of the problem is.

You could try disconnecting the battery, but if there really is something wrong, it'll just come back on.

old skool luvr 03-09-2010 03:45 PM

also, posting what the vehicle you're having the issue with helps out immensely.

even though it's kinda easy to guess with a screen name like yours, if you have more than one vehicle, we could be giving you wrong solutions based on your lack of info.

neo71665 03-09-2010 08:05 PM

Fixing the problem always works for me

Joemakerman 03-09-2010 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by swartlkk (Post 310004)
Considering that the service engine soon light is not a reminder for regularly scheduled service... There is a problem that your PCM has recorded and the SES light is letting you know that there is a code stored. You can go to a number of different autoparts stores and have the codes read. Once you have the code, let us know and we'll help you figure out what the root of the problem is.

You could try disconnecting the battery, but if there really is something wrong, it'll just come back on.

Does it cost anything to get the codes read? My "Service Engine Soon" light is on like 60% of the time I'm driving (sometimes it's not on, I don't know why), so yeah I figured I could get em read too.

-Joe

swartlkk 03-09-2010 08:39 PM

Most autoparts stores do this for free.

old skool luvr 03-09-2010 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by neo71665 (Post 310171)
Fixing the problem always works for me

but you should still wipe the codes from the ECM.

swartlkk 03-10-2010 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by old skool luvr (Post 310271)

If you fix the problem, in the vast majority of cases, the light will go out on its own. :icon_wink:

neo71665 03-10-2010 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by old skool luvr (Post 310271)

Thats pretty much involved in fixing the problem. Last step is normally to clear the codes once its fixed so you can run it and see if it is indeed fixed or not. But as said even with OBD1 (OBD2 does it faster) the codes will clear them self once the ECM quit seeing the problem.

old skool luvr 03-12-2010 12:35 AM

Originally Posted by swartlkk (Post 310323)
If you fix the problem, in the vast majority of cases, the light will go out on its own. :icon_wink:

Originally Posted by neo71665 (Post 310337)
Thats pretty much involved in fixing the problem. Last step is normally to clear the codes once its fixed so you can run it and see if it is indeed fixed or not. But as said even with OBD1 (OBD2 does it faster) the codes will clear them self once the ECM quit seeing the problem.

i know the light will go out, but for a DIY, not everyone has a scantool (or easy access to one). besides, the codes stay stored even if the problem has been fixed and the light goes away.