General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

hOW TO TURN OFF THE SERVICE LIGHT?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 03:00 PM
Starting Member
*xtreme2002* is on a distinguished road
Exclamation hOW TO TURN OFF THE SERVICE LIGHT?

Is there anyway around going into a shop to turn off the "Service engine soon" light? I changed all fluids and filters and its just bugging me like no other. Please help me out!?!

Thank,
Cole

Old 03-09-2010, 03:38 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Considering that the service engine soon light is not a reminder for regularly scheduled service... There is a problem that your PCM has recorded and the SES light is letting you know that there is a code stored. You can go to a number of different autoparts stores and have the codes read. Once you have the code, let us know and we'll help you figure out what the root of the problem is.

You could try disconnecting the battery, but if there really is something wrong, it'll just come back on.

Old 03-09-2010, 03:45 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

also, posting what the vehicle you're having the issue with helps out immensely.

even though it's kinda easy to guess with a screen name like yours, if you have more than one vehicle, we could be giving you wrong solutions based on your lack of info.

Old 03-09-2010, 08:05 PM
neo71665 will become famous soon enoughneo71665 will become famous soon enough

Fixing the problem always works for me

Old 03-09-2010, 08:33 PM
Joemakerman is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by swartlkk
Considering that the service engine soon light is not a reminder for regularly scheduled service... There is a problem that your PCM has recorded and the SES light is letting you know that there is a code stored. You can go to a number of different autoparts stores and have the codes read. Once you have the code, let us know and we'll help you figure out what the root of the problem is.

You could try disconnecting the battery, but if there really is something wrong, it'll just come back on.
Does it cost anything to get the codes read? My "Service Engine Soon" light is on like 60% of the time I'm driving (sometimes it's not on, I don't know why), so yeah I figured I could get em read too.

-Joe

Old 03-09-2010, 08:39 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Most autoparts stores do this for free.

Old 03-09-2010, 11:03 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by neo71665
Fixing the problem always works for me

but you should still wipe the codes from the ECM.

Old 03-10-2010, 05:52 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by old skool luvr
If you fix the problem, in the vast majority of cases, the light will go out on its own.

Old 03-10-2010, 06:45 AM
neo71665 will become famous soon enoughneo71665 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by old skool luvr

Thats pretty much involved in fixing the problem. Last step is normally to clear the codes once its fixed so you can run it and see if it is indeed fixed or not. But as said even with OBD1 (OBD2 does it faster) the codes will clear them self once the ECM quit seeing the problem.

Old 03-12-2010, 12:35 AM
BF Guru

Originally Posted by swartlkk
If you fix the problem, in the vast majority of cases, the light will go out on its own.
Originally Posted by neo71665
Thats pretty much involved in fixing the problem. Last step is normally to clear the codes once its fixed so you can run it and see if it is indeed fixed or not. But as said even with OBD1 (OBD2 does it faster) the codes will clear them self once the ECM quit seeing the problem.
i know the light will go out, but for a DIY, not everyone has a scantool (or easy access to one). besides, the codes stay stored even if the problem has been fixed and the light goes away.

Quick Reply: hOW TO TURN OFF THE SERVICE LIGHT?