General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

How would I pull another car out?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 05:27 PM
Dhurteau is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How would I pull another car out?

As winter has set in. And being a good friend. A few of my friends have RWD cars, no trac control etc. And being the good friend I am i offerd to pull em out long as i wasnt blamed for the damage they find from the actual falling into a ditch.

I have tow hooks in the front. Stock i believe for all blazers. Its a 1999 4x4. I also have a strong high test cable with two hooks. Designed for towing. Or pulling.

Im curious to how I would go about hook it up. Would I hook one hook to the truck and pull the cable through the other hook to give it a pull. Or would I cross the cable hooks on the trucks tow hooks. and just simple run the cable through there tow hook.

Sorry if this is confusing. Tips are greatly apprecheated

Old 12-06-2007, 05:42 PM
BF Veteran
thegr81 is on a distinguished road
Default RE: How would I pull another car out?

I would hook one hook to your tow hook and the other to there's and slowly add tension to the tow line then proceed to pull them out!!

Old 12-06-2007, 05:49 PM
Blazin_Jason will become famous soon enough

These and this would help. Just got mine in a week ago and already used em twice. Once to pull a broken down mini van out of an intersection, and a stuck car in snow.

Old 12-06-2007, 06:04 PM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think I'd feel comfortable pulling anything out while in reverse. Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you're using the tow hooks in the front to pull someone out, wouldn't you be backing up? Seems to me the drive gears would be better suited for what you're trying to do. Do you have a hitch so you can use something like Blazin Jason linked to?

Old 12-06-2007, 06:40 PM
Driveby is an unknown quantity at this point

I would recommend the recieverthatBlazin Jason posted. DO NOT USE A CABLE OR A TOW STRAP WITH HOOKS!!!!! You need a strap that will stretch, a cable has no stretch and if it breaks LOOK OUT!!! It could very easily kill someone. Hooks on a strap are very good projectiles, they can kill and severly injure someone. The strap that you use should be rated for 3 times the vehicles weight that you are pulling out. Make sure that the strap is securely attached to both vehicles, Ive seen a tow strap "pop" off a truck while it was attempted to be "recovered" and the strap caved in the tail gate of a full size pickup. Imagine if someone got hit in the head, chest, or any body part. A vehicle recovery is a pretty risky/dangerous thing to do, most important thing is make sure everyone involved is at a safe distance.

Old 12-06-2007, 07:08 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Drive is much better to pull on vehicles with. I have a 20' nylon strap that has never anyone down. I have pulled out some pretty well stuck vehicles with that strap. No hooks, just loops on the ends. I typically will wrap the strap around the frame and pass one end through the loop, then use my D-ring into my receiver hitch or to the safety chain ties, whichever is easier.

I almost forgot about the chain that I do have. For newer vehicles, I typically will wrap the front crossmember with the 6' section of chain that I have so I don't cut my strap.

Oh yeah, the nylon strap that I have is 7/8" diameter braided line and it's good for something like 10 tons...

Old 12-07-2007, 01:49 AM
dimmuborgir6nik6 is an unknown quantity at this point

I figured if I had to pull I'd wrap around their frame, and cross the chains/wires/rope or whichever and attach it to my tow hooks.
I have a ton of d rings and a lot of nylon rope.
I was thinking about picking up some chains at home depot, but the chains are so expensive.
I even have some nylon straps that my dad used to tie to his '86 and pull large roots out of the ground with them.
Do you have pictures of the nylon straps you use?
I might pick a few up at home depot tomorrow.

Old 12-07-2007, 10:46 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

THIS is the style that I have, but not exactly the same as I have.

Old 12-07-2007, 10:55 AM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

ORIGINAL: Dhurteau
I have tow hooks in the front. Stock i believe for all blazers.
The hooks were only only 4wd Blazers, I believe, and they are designed primarily for another vehicle to hook onto to pull you out with.

Old 12-07-2007, 05:38 PM
Dhurteau is an unknown quantity at this point

Not to be a smartass here, But is there a difference of pull on the hooks,Pulling someone out. Or being pulled out. (obviously depending on vehical size)

Quick Reply: How would I pull another car out?