General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Hydrogen

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 08:02 PM
BF Veteran
EuroGoldLS is on a distinguished road
Default Hydrogen

We have quite a thread going on the Chevrolet forum about supplement a vehicle's gasoline with hydrogen. I'm thinking about building a hydrogen system and tapping it into my intake. Has anyone ever done this or have any knowledge on the matter?

I did a little research on it and found out that you produce two gasses, 2 Hydrogen and 1 Oxygen. Hydrogen is fuel and oxygen supports combustion and when introduced into the intake, the computer will adjust the flow of gasoline because it detects that the fuel is more powerful.

I figured out the principles of producing HHO gas with electrodes in water. That was easy, I just screwed two 3" stainless screws in the top of a coke bottle and made it so the ends were spaced about 1/8" apart then stuck a 9-volt battery to the end of the screws; one on the negative, one on the positive. It made bubbles!!!

What I'm still trying to figure out is how I'm going to deliver the hydrogen. There are kits on ebay, but I don't want to be ripped off with a mason jar as a reservior and a couple of things you can get at the auto parts store.

Still don't know if I want to do this to the Blazer or the Toyota... might make the Yota into a hydrogen prototype until I can work the bugs out and find out what works best.

Old 04-02-2008, 08:06 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about
Default RE: Hydrogen

If you can figure this out on a high schooler's budget, you'll probably win a nobel prize.

It's been tried many times, the problem is the cost of the equipment, and the sheer weight of the components needed..makes it useless. And as exciting as making a few bubbles in a coke bottle with a 9v battery is, that won't translate to powering a vehicle.

Old 04-02-2008, 08:14 PM
blznlowxtreme is an unknown quantity at this point

that would awsome, but from what i have heard and read, i agree w/ wolfpak

Old 04-02-2008, 08:22 PM
BF Veteran

Thats exactly wht I though at first. But I've seen multiple claims from people that I know on forums that say they have actually had a significant increase in mileage. You also have to understand that hydrogen is 10x as powerful as gasoline.

I don't know that it will use something really huge. I want to use it in conjuction with gasoline. And as for a highschool budget.... well, we'll see. There are many kits out there under $100 with materials that I can get together for less than $50.

Old 04-02-2008, 08:27 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

The only way I see it do-able is if you run a NOS setup, but with hydrogen instead of Nitrous Oxide. I still don't see it using anyless fuel though...if anything I would say you risk blowing your engine just like with nitrous (the extra power added with the already explosive gasoline)

Old 04-02-2008, 08:30 PM
cliro is an unknown quantity at this point

theres a guy at my work that has a hydrogen setup on his protege5, supposed to like double his mileage, so far it's doing crap for him.

Old 04-02-2008, 08:35 PM
BF Veteran

Well, its not pressurizing or reducing the temperature of the incoming air like nitrous, although you did make me thin of possibly buying a Nitrous cheater plate to introduce the gas. The gas will be pulled in by the suction of the engine.

The whole concept is rather intimidating, but some of the stuff I've researched, it looks really simple. Its very like a partial propane conversion.

Heres a link to a site on the Ads by google thing at the bottom of the board.... Clicky

Old 04-02-2008, 08:37 PM
cliro is an unknown quantity at this point

yup, thats what he's got.

he thinks he needs to lean it out, change the AF ratio with a programmer.
he just got a mason jar as his canaster with the electrodes in the lid connected to a coil, bubbles up and he has to drain the canister once a week.

everything cost him like $30, not including the instructions he had to buy off the internet. told him if he ever figures the thing out he can hook one up in my truck, dought that will happen though.. i think it's BS

Old 04-02-2008, 08:42 PM
BF Veteran

I'm still definately looking into it. I know of a guy on the CF who is in the process of doing it, so I'll see what his results look like before I buy or make one.

Old 04-02-2008, 09:03 PM
Zasder is an unknown quantity at this point

Goodluck...

Ever heard of the Hydrogen bomb? Yea... its very explosive be carefull! I dont want no deaths on blazer forum!

Quick Reply: Hydrogen