General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

I hate car dealers

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 10:01 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about
Default RE: I hate car dealers

They were nice to you because you were buying a CHEVY from their HONDA lot. They're more than happy to get rid of it.

And it's human nature to judge people on how they present themselves. From buying a computer at Circuit City to a car. Dress appropriately for the amount of money youre going to spend if you want a salesperson to pay you the attention you feel you deserve.

Old 03-10-2008, 11:11 PM
94blueknight is on a distinguished road

ORIGINAL: 4x4blazerguy

ORIGINAL: 94blueknight

ya 2 of my friends work at one a ford dealrship and one a pontiac/buick/vw dealrship and the sales men there r like the jerk sales men u think of when u hear dealership. at lexus where i work the sales men r pretty nice and friendly. but ya if u want attention make it look like u have a lot of money come in w/ nice clothes on and they should flock to u!
You said a lot there. I believe General Motors, Ford & Dodge build some good vehicles. The problem is the dealerships. American car dealerships suck for the most part. I believe that is why Totota & Honda etc are so popular. Because their dealerships have a mind set that "THE CUSTOMER IS number one". They have dealerships that are friendly, helpful, & don't play all these games like the American dealers do.
I just bought my 97 Blazer 4x4 from a Honda Dealer. I have never had such a pleasant expeience buying a car. This deal of dressing up to buy a car or anything is CRAP. If spending my money depends on how I look they can stick it up you know where. I'm 60 years old and never kissed any B--- & never will. I'll just take my money else where.
yes thats what i was trying to say. the american car dealers dont see much in making the customer number one where most of the foreign ones do.

Old 03-11-2008, 01:37 AM
BF Veteran
thegr81 is on a distinguished road

Alot of good points, I have currently two dealerships that I deal with when people request me to go check out a vehicle for them whether because they don't want to be hassled or not enough time to go down and deal with a salesman!! I have the chevy and nissan dealership right next to each other that I deal with and a salesman at each that I talk to and them alone!! It's pretty nice to know people and they know you well enough to take care of anyone you bring them with a better discount then the other guy!!

Old 03-11-2008, 01:44 AM
Beginning Member
uberfiend is an unknown quantity at this point

My suggestion is that, after you research what you think your ride should cost, etc., you begin with phone calls. First, because it beats driving around, and second, because you'll get immediate feedback that's hard to get by email. When I do this, I write down the name(s) of the person(s) I talk to. That way, when I know the dealership might have what I want in stock, I can make an appointment.

When you set your appointment, pick a day that's good for you. Then think up a quick script that sends a couple of messages to anyone with half a brain. Uusually, I convey that I don't have a ton of time, but that I'll take the time if I see what I like. And I always ask them, "Is cash ok?" They always say yes, and they also assume that you have the cash. If you get to the dealer and want to finance, it shouldn't be a problem, since most of the time, you ought to finance through anyone but a dealership. (Try your bank.)

If you're really worried about them taking you seriously, be sure to mention that your last Blazer was totaled and that it's a replacement. All of these signals should say that you're only taking your precious time because you might be interested in buying and that you're ready, willing, and able to buy the right vehicle at the right price.

That should at least get you in the door on the right foot, no matter how well you're dressed although dressing well works to a point. (I like the chinos and blue button down.) Just be sure to display some knowledge so the sales person doesn't think you're an easy mark just because you have money.

Old 03-11-2008, 06:40 PM
4x4blazerguy is on a distinguished road

ORIGINAL: WolfPack

They were nice to you because you were buying a CHEVY from their HONDA lot. They're more than happy to get rid of it.

And it's human nature to judge people on how they present themselves. From buying a computer at Circuit City to a car. Dress appropriately for the amount of money youre going to spend if you want a salesperson to pay you the attention you feel you deserve.

Well, I'm a 60 year old man & I have bought a lot of cars in my day. I have found my statement to be true when I bought a Honda from a Honda dealer, & Toyota's from Toyota dealers. The foriegn dealers are much better to deal with both during the sale & afterwards. If you are a salesman that judges my dress, to my ablility to pay for something then you lost a cash sale. If I go into any place & they decide to treat me poorly because I look poor then I leave & go someplace else. See I have money, "CASH" I don't need to impress anyone, nor will I. Believe me when I showed up with my friend with cow crap on our boots & pants & rolled out $100 bills for the Blazer they didn't care either. I found the Blazer through the internet & made the deal over the phone. When I had this little problem with the service engine light I called them because they are 150 miles away, & they told me to go get it fixed & have the bill sent to them. Well being an old motor head I had to see if I could do the fix myself to learn more about the truck, so I signed up on this forum & I learned a great deal this week. Thanks to all here.

Old 03-11-2008, 07:15 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Regardless of the vehicles sold, you will find good and bad sales approaches. All makes have their good and bad dealerships. Typically if you have a poor domestic sales force in the area, the foreign sales force will be very good. The reverse can be the said as well.

Old 03-11-2008, 10:01 PM
igot10pinitis is an unknown quantity at this point

dude.... you have got to be joking?

your really trying to tell everyone on here that people request you to go check out new cars for them to buy? What do you do hand them a peice of paper with their social on it so they can run the credit and see what deals you can get?

come on.

ORIGINAL: thegr81

Alot of good points, I have currently two dealerships that I deal with when people request me to go check out a vehicle for them whether because they don't want to be hassled or not enough time to go down and deal with a salesman!! I have the chevy and nissan dealership right next to each other that I deal with and a salesman at each that I talk to and them alone!! It's pretty nice to know people and they know you well enough to take care of anyone you bring them with a better discount then the other guy!!

Old 03-12-2008, 06:08 AM
Blazer Forum 2009 Ride of the Year Winner
nj4x4blaze has a spectacular aura aboutnj4x4blaze has a spectacular aura about

ORIGINAL: igot10pinitis

dude.... you have got to be joking?

your really trying to tell everyone on here that people request you to go check out new cars for them to buy? What do you do hand them a peice of paper with their social on it so they can run the credit and see what deals you can get?

come on.

ORIGINAL: thegr81

I think your taking what he said the wrong way. He's just saying he knows the salesmen on a personal level where he goes there to give them the heads up that he is sending someone down to see them. So that way they can give them a deal versus ripping someone off who is just walking off the street.

Old 03-12-2008, 07:07 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

ORIGINAL: nj4x4blaze

I think your taking what he said the wrong way. He's just saying he knows the salesmen on a personal level where he goes there to give them the heads up that he is sending someone down to see them. So that way they can give them a deal versus ripping someone off who is just walking off the street.
I don't know why I tought of the King of the Hill episode where Hank pays MSRP!?? Especially because I don't normally watch that show, but my son wanted a cartoon and that was better than pokemon!

Old 03-12-2008, 07:10 AM
Blazer Forum 2009 Ride of the Year Winner
nj4x4blaze has a spectacular aura aboutnj4x4blaze has a spectacular aura about

lol...

Quick Reply: I hate car dealers