General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

I just couldn't get away...

Old 01-09-2012, 08:15 AM
Starting Member
Longer02 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I just couldn't get away...

So I sold my 2000 Blazer "Trailblazer" three weeks ago thinking I wanted something more fuel efficient. The blazer has 126k on it and had it's fair share of problems. Needed new wheel bearings, leaked oil and coolant, had some dings and scrapes, fuel pump was on its way out, etc. I sold it for $3200 and owned it for a little over a year. I bought it for $4000 with 108k on it. I added a bull bar with lights, put new shocks on it, and Pro Comp Rock Crawlers with 31" tread wright tires.

Anyway, I had been looking for a smaller car like a Civic, Accord, Cavalier, etc. that would get me better gas mileage. I was looking for something in the $2500 or less range. I had come across some good deals on Craigslist but everytime I called on them they were sold already. I missed out on a 2001 Intrigue with 78k miles on it for $1600. It only had minor hail dents. I missed out on a couple of Rangers and S10's with low miles as well.

I was out looking at some cars Saturday that I thought would fit the bill but they ALL ended up being junk. Had rust, dents, etc. or needed extensive work that I was not looking to do. I told my friend who I was with that I am more than likely going to need to spend 3k or above to get something that I will enjoy driving and not have to worry about for some time.

So I searched Craigslist on my way back from looking at another pile of junk. Found a 97 Blazer with right at 100k miles on it for 3k up the road from my house. Talked to the guy on the phone for a few minutes and he said he had someone coming from out of town to look at/buy it but said I could still come take a look now since I was so close. I ventured over there and looked the blazer over with my buddy. Compared to my other one, this thing was in immaculate shape. Had a few quirks that any 15 year old car would have but mechanically it was very sound and had no rust whatsoever. The fuel pump had just been replaced, brand new tires (won't be doing anything off-road with these) and was freshly washed and detailed inside. It drove 100x better than my 2000 and was much more smooth.

When I got back from the test drive the owner called the other person who was coming to look at it. Well, he couldn't get a hold of him and I had cash in hand so I picked her up for $3000. I am happy to say I will enjoy this blazer more than my other one for sure. My other one was equipped with 3.73's and a G80, this one has 3.42's but still has the G80 so I'm extremely happy with that as well. It will yield better MPG's than my other one when it was in stock form. The only things I will miss are the heated seats and mirrors. This blazer should have a lot of life left and treat me well.

I was hoping to have some extra funds for my Camaro project, but trying to find a good car on Craigslist under $2500 is near impossible around here. I am glad to be sticking around the site and still driving a blazer.

Old 01-09-2012, 08:30 AM
atvwarrior will become famous soon enough

Yea I hear you on the extra funds thing , seems harder and harder to save them extra funds . Everythings going up but the pay check .

Old 01-09-2012, 08:40 AM
Starting Member

Well thankfully my paycheck is up quite a bit from a year ago. All my extra funds right now are getting thrown at my Camaro though. Just picked up my 6.0L from the junkyard last week. Have a ton of parts sitting in my basement and garage waiting to get put together. I have a ways to go until I have everything but the car should be running by May .

I just have too many things going on right now to save any funds after I buy parts. Once spring hits I will be making $2-300 a weekend until the end of summer umpiring softball. That, and I should get a decent tax return this year. Being a single Dad who just bought his first house in 2011 should do me well!

Old 01-09-2012, 01:19 PM
ohsofly will become famous soon enoughohsofly will become famous soon enough

"and just when you think you are out, they pull you back in"

Old 01-09-2012, 01:55 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by ohsofly
"and just when you think you are out, they pull you back in"

Haha. Although I didn't really want to be out persay. I love the Blazer platform, but thought I wanted something more eco-friendly. Just glad to have a more solid Blazer to work with now!

Old 01-09-2012, 02:43 PM
tibby has a spectacular aura abouttibby has a spectacular aura about
Default .

Welcome back!

Glad to see more 95-97 year range blazers on here!

Old 01-09-2012, 09:32 PM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

Just sayin'.

Old 01-10-2012, 07:16 AM
Starting Member

I will get some up. It's just a boring stock looking blazer though, ha.

Old 01-10-2012, 09:42 AM
BF Veteran
DKSDAD is a jewel in the roughDKSDAD is a jewel in the roughDKSDAD is a jewel in the rough

Welcome back and good luck with the truck and Camaro. Also, stock pictures are better than no pictures.